Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Books

User Info Menu

Books

I found this article and would like to know if anyone has read any of these books. Would like to try get some of them before we come in March.

Thanks everyone!

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jamesel.../#16bb95c2669c
    [https://www.TickerFactory.com/]

User Info Menu

Re: Books

I only read non-fiction but for some reason, I break that rule for books about or around Jamaica. I think because there may be truths in some of these (e.g. Brief History of 7 Killings) that makes the author afraid of repercussions. That 7 Killings book is really good, have not read the rest.

Dead Yard (Ian Thomson) is also a very good read - nonfiction although the veracity of some events in there has been questioned. I've read a bunch of other nonfiction books - mostly history - about Jamaica. I can put together a list if anyone is interested.

User Info Menu

We are for sure. Don't want you to spend too much time on it, but both of us are voracious readers so a list would be great. Somehow reviews from magazines and "NYT best seller lists" just aren't as good as a review from person you know has like interests. So your picks would be great!! When we get back I'll send you a note on the ones we really liked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Odinson View Post
    I only read non-fiction but for some reason, I break that rule for books about or around Jamaica. I think because there may be truths in some of these (e.g. Brief History of 7 Killings) that makes the author afraid of repercussions. That 7 Killings book is really good, have not read the rest.

Dead Yard (Ian Thomson) is also a very good read - nonfiction although the veracity of some events in there has been questioned. I've read a bunch of other nonfiction books - mostly history - about Jamaica. I can put together a list if anyone is interested.

User Info Menu

i'm way more into non-fiction these days, but try to keep up on new novels coming out of the caribbean, particularly haiti and jamaica.

i started books # 3 (A Brief History of Seven Killings, Marlon James) and 4 (Here Comes the Sun, Nicole Dennis-Benn) and didn't find either interesting enough to finish.

i passed on yardie, because i'm not into hood crime fiction set in london.

i have book #2 (Finding Samuel Lowe: China, Jamaica, Harlem, Paula Williams Madison) on my kindle right now, but keep forgetting to read it. will probably re-download it before my upcoming trip (in february). i wish there was an audiobook version.

and i keep meaning to add dead yard to my overdrive app, but there's only an e-book version, and similar to Finding Samuel Lowe, i know i'll never get around to reading it until i'm on vacation. audiobooks are just easier for me nowadays.

(thanks for posting the list)
    Last edited by mwenvlay; 01-11-2019 at 10:35 AM.

User Info Menu

I highly recommend Steppin' Razor: The Life of Peter Tosh by John Masouri. A friend loaned me a copy a few years ago.

User Info Menu

Many of the books on the Forbes list are also recommended by other sources...and reading the descriptions there seems to be a running theme.
    I have a copy of 'The True History of Pardise'...but have yet to read...maybe I'll do that this weekend and let you know what I think.
    From the perspective of living here and to get a better understanding from these author's points of view...a couple of books on the list that seem interesting to me would be...'Myal' and maybe the book 'Finding Samuel Lowe:'.
    Thanks for sharing!

User Info Menu

I requested "Steppin' Razor" The life of Peter Tosh, from the library. They have it comin'.....

User Info Menu

Name:  IMG_20190112_115012355~2.jpg
Views: 554
Size:  133.7 KB
    Name:  IMG_20190112_115040065.jpg
Views: 578
Size:  124.2 KB
    Let's try photos. 1k words and all.

User Info Menu

This is great!!! I'll be all set this time. Last year ran out of books and was trolling the take a book leave a book spots but the good reading usually goes first. I swear I read a book in two days down there. Might be the 5 hours a day we spend on the beach!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Odinson View Post
    Name:  IMG_20190112_115012355~2.jpg
Views: 554
Size:  133.7 KB
    Name:  IMG_20190112_115040065.jpg
Views: 578
Size:  124.2 KB
    Let's try photos. 1k words and all.

User Info Menu

Glad to help - learned an awful lot from these books. Still, confident to say that I know absolutely nothing. There is some glare here (rare winter sunshine in Chicago), let me know if you can't read a title or author.
    FYI the large book with the dude holding the lobsters is a kids book.