Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Fruit Lady

User Info Menu

Re: Fruit Lady

Thanks for the info, somehow we missed them this year, hope to see them next year!

User Info Menu

Written some time back....

On this our 26th trip to our beloved Island, we decided to write about some of the faces we saw on our trip...some you will know, possibly some you wont....hope you enjoy the background behind the faces.........

For the First one we think you all would have seen her on the End of 7 mile Beach....

"ANYBODY WANT FRUUUUUUUUITS"??????????

.....know as the "Friut Lady" her name is
    Mrs Gem Gidden she lives in St Elizabeth..
    she travels by route taxi bout 3 hrs to work and 3 home...Her day starts at Home with Husband of 32 years, between the two of them they have rasied 14 children, 7 of them she bore.....

She wakes around 5AM and by 6 she has bought her days supply of fresh picked fruits at the farmers market on her way to the Beach...she arrives 'bout 10AM and walks the area Roots Bamboo to Coral Seas..her day will end around 6PM and back home by 8:30-9:00PM......

At 55 years old,she is the sole provider for her family, and does so by selling fresh fruits which she carries in her basket and hand bags...the basket weighs about 25-30 lbs, which she carries and balances on her HEAD!
    The carry bag or BAGS! will weigh about the SAME!.....She does all of this while walking in thick Beach Sand...stopping to rest now and then.......
    She has traveled extensively for the Jamaican Tourist Board in Jamaica and elsewhere. She has a "BEAUTIFUL SINGING VOICE" and is called upon Professionally for weddings and events.....( she gave us a 4-5 minute sample) AMAZING!!

So the next time your sleepin on di beach, and hear this strange sound...."Anybody Di Fruuuuits"????????, get up- walk to her-

help her out by buying a lot,, and TIP WELL...............You might even get a little song?????????

Please lighten her Load,,,,, she has many steps to walk, before she can rest......

Hope you enjoyed my attempt at writing these inside looks at people we see,,,
    will follow with more if you like......

Merry Christmas and Thank God/Jah for JAMAICA............
    Name:  Gem 1.jpg
Views: 1044
Size:  32.6 KB
    "One of the laundry gals pipes up ,,"LOOK AT DA BLOOD"
    "YES,THAT WOULD BE MINE" I said as my leg that at first gave no pain, started dishing it out in large bunches........"

want more read our blog? our first trip.........http://negril.com/forum/entry.php?58...-The-Beginning

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rambo View Post
    Written some time back....

On this our 26th trip to our beloved Island, we decided to write about some of the faces we saw on our trip...some you will know, possibly some you wont....hope you enjoy the background behind the faces.........

For the First one we think you all would have seen her on the End of 7 mile Beach....

"ANYBODY WANT FRUUUUUUUUITS"??????????

.....know as the "Friut Lady" her name is
    Mrs Gem Gidden she lives in St Elizabeth..
    she travels by route taxi bout 3 hrs to work and 3 home...Her day starts at Home with Husband of 32 years, between the two of them they have rasied 14 children, 7 of them she bore.....

She wakes around 5AM and by 6 she has bought her days supply of fresh picked fruits at the farmers market on her way to the Beach...she arrives 'bout 10AM and walks the area Roots Bamboo to Coral Seas..her day will end around 6PM and back home by 8:30-9:00PM......

At 55 years old,she is the sole provider for her family, and does so by selling fresh fruits which she carries in her basket and hand bags...the basket weighs about 25-30 lbs, which she carries and balances on her HEAD!
    The carry bag or BAGS! will weigh about the SAME!.....She does all of this while walking in thick Beach Sand...stopping to rest now and then.......
    She has traveled extensively for the Jamaican Tourist Board in Jamaica and elsewhere. She has a "BEAUTIFUL SINGING VOICE" and is called upon Professionally for weddings and events.....( she gave us a 4-5 minute sample) AMAZING!!

So the next time your sleepin on di beach, and hear this strange sound...."Anybody Di Fruuuuits"????????, get up- walk to her-

help her out by buying a lot,, and TIP WELL...............You might even get a little song?????????

Please lighten her Load,,,,, she has many steps to walk, before she can rest......

Hope you enjoyed my attempt at writing these inside looks at people we see,,,
    will follow with more if you like......

Merry Christmas and Thank God/Jah for JAMAICA............
    Name:  Gem 1.jpg
Views: 1044
Size:  32.6 KB
    This is not the same sweet lady that comes by Coco and Charela.

User Info Menu

Here's a pic of that beautiful lady working her butt off...

Name:  P_20190404_133343_2_1_1.jpg
Views: 973
Size:  125.3 KB

User Info Menu

Ha! I have the same exact photo of her walking past Idle Awhile. We got caught waiting out rain storm together at Tony’s Hut, with Norm the pattie guy and Princess Grace the bartender. One of the best afternoons pon da rock I ever had!

User Info Menu

Seen her in January the original is Lady Gem !!

User Info Menu

some of our fondest memories are "rain outs"...HaHa....people from all over runnin for cover, the drinks seem to pick-up in tempo....and hours are passed......sigh
    "YES,THAT WOULD BE MINE" I said as my leg that at first gave no pain, started dishing it out in large bunches........"

want more read our blog? our first trip.........http://negril.com/forum/entry.php?58...-The-Beginning

User Info Menu

It may sound strange, but if I don’t get a downpour during my stay, where I can lay on the balcony with a cold drink, a spliff and some reggae....or the same at a local hole in the wall pub, I’m disappointed.

User Info Menu

we always went Feb-Mar-April....the latter being the worst for rain in the afternoon, that just really "steams" it up for bar visiting after dark....be careful where you park your butt !.....rains drive all kinds of "things" outta the cracks and crevaces.....

User Info Menu

Or into cracks and crevices. Sorry, I couldn’t resist.