Quote Originally Posted by sunray View Post
mwenvlay, Since this is a board related to Negril tourism, I tend to keep my contributions related to such. For the Jamaican government to provide more opportunity to the people of the nation requires money. A main source of revenue is the tourism industry. If the government wants to ‘big up’ the country, a great way to start is to protect the tourism industry, whether you find that sad or not.
And I find it hilarious that you believe that Negril is being gentrified, (much like your nyc neighbourhood). Negril was a small fishing village that morphed into a major tourism development decades ago. Sure doesn’t fit my understanding of gentrification.
Lose the tourists to government inaction on the problems of the day, then see the means the government would have to provide viable futures to the people. (apparently non tourist related would be your preference).
any place where the locals can't afford to live anymore because the area is catering to a different clientele is an area that's experiencing gentrification. a small fishing village that's now home to a plethora of all inclusives whose workers have to branch out farther afield to find affordable housing is the epitome of gentrification. brooklyn, negril- same same.

and this is a tourism board geared towards folks who tend to spend a lot of time in jamaica, so opinions are going to veer away from the usual "is it safe???" and "which all inclusive would be best for me?" type topics. and i'm the type of tourist who thinks about what's going on locally, more than what's in it for my first world ass. if the government wants to big up the country, it could invest in local manufacturing and small business ownership, develop its healthcare system and bolster its educational system. same as with everywhere else in the world. tourism is great, but you still have to look out for your own.

but again, i started visiting jamaica tagging along with friends who had family there, and then on business (music industry). my perspective might be different than yours.