Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 1 of 8 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Higglers !!

User Info Menu

Cool Higglers !!

My Wife and I have been going to Negril for many years and We Love It.....
    Maybe it's just me getting Older and Cranky ?? But the amount of Folks on the Beach that were constantly aggressive this Trip was unbelievable !!
    Totally in your Face at all times on my Beach Walks and General time on the Beach. Even the Bartenders weren't too Happy....
    You all know what goes on... With the Higglers..
    Have you noticed a difference ??? They stressed me out Big Time...
    BTW. Don't Smoke... But do like Rum !! hehe. Maybe now it's just time just to stay on the Cliffs ? I kinda know that's what you'll say ... Ha.Ha. Thanks Folks....

User Info Menu

Re: Higglers !!

well i have considered bringing this up and after seeing ur post i will. have gone to Negril since 74 and have had a couple incidents in the past but it was in Red Ground with part of the family i stay with and love.
    this last trip was the first real shouting match and could have seen it developing into a real problem.
    i attended the Margaritaville friday night happy hour so had a good buzz so i will admit i was part of the problem. on the way back to the hotel a guy very aggressive handed me a bud which i know i should have held. after many i dont want it he walked away. in hindsight i should have dropped it in the sand. i did not open the baggie . the next day he recognized me at Rasta Ade. sd i owed him 20 . he got loud and aggressive and cursing at me and my wife. (the guy who owned Rasta Aid was there but did not offer any help). i sd i was going to walk back to the hotel (about a mile) and bring it back. he said he would not take it.. i brought it back and gave it to Juliet. we saw him again the next day and he came over and started to hassle us and the guard chased him away. i know i could give him the 20 and i know you should never take anything unless you intend to by it . i am guessing i will now have to deal with him if he continues to hang on the beach on our next visit. i do agree some of the people on the beach are more aggressive and much more Americanized. long for the old days but still love Negril.

User Info Menu

I actually think it has been less this trip. Although I now walk with headphones on. Even with no music. Might make a difference.

User Info Menu

i have thru the years tried no nabla ingles

User Info Menu

I guess I will find out one way or the other in a couple of days!

User Info Menu

We had a wonderful 10 day vacation on the beach and zero issues with higglers. Most of the regulars know we are frequent visitors who buy very few "souvenirs". With the others, they are handled with a firm but polite "NO, thanks" and just keep walking.

User Info Menu

you will be fine. if someone tries to hand you something you dont want to buy whether it be ganga or a bracelet dont hold it .

User Info Menu

I have just returned from a month on the beach and the only ones who kept coming were the fruit vendors. I just said "No thank you", and they moved on. Be polite but firm. If i can do it at 70 then yòu should have no trouble.
    Irie Sue

User Info Menu

I feel like I had less hassle this trip than any other. Some of the guys on the road at night were annoying, but it certainly wasn't as bad as it had been in the past. In general, I felt that this past week was incredibly slow all around. I was able to spend more time in red ground this week, and spend a day and a half day away from the beach, but the time I was on the beach, no problems.
    I'm gonna be Iron like a Lion in Zion

User Info Menu

After my 26th year 6 week & my daily beach walks I've found the higgers not a big deal..some remember me year after year..dark sunglasses help a lot too..ie no eye contact...or the usual..i don't smoke or i got it all work very well & i just keep on trucking...but it makes living in the cliffs all that much better at the end of the day.