Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What is the deal here?

User Info Menu

Re: What’s the deal here

we started coming here in the '80s..and let me tell you the VIBE HAS! changed.......Name:  jennys cakemaking (Medium).jpg
Views: 751
Size:  86.9 KB

I really miss the old ways, just have to come and head for the hills....lolName:  donkey cart  west end rd  am vegtables 1984.jpg
Views: 680
Size:  1,006.1 KB
    "One of the laundry gals pipes up ,,"LOOK AT DA BLOOD"
    "YES,THAT WOULD BE MINE" I said as my leg that at first gave no pain, started dishing it out in large bunches........"

want more read our blog? our first trip.........http://negril.com/forum/entry.php?58...-The-Beginning

User Info Menu

first trip 74 and still love it BUT not as much. i only half kiddingly say MTV (and other U.S tv) has been a terrible influence. the people are more americanized . for years i have brought an extra suitcase full of clothes and it was much appreciated. nowadays first thing is to look at the label.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Treasure BeachBum View Post
    I believe that I have heard that same little birdie.
    For quite some time now I have been hearing Treasure Beach is what Negril used to be. Quiet, laid back sleepy little beach town. Negril was just on the edge of that 11 years ago when we went our first time. Further down this post Original Spanky mentions the words Americanized, and I think that's what feels different at Negril. The restaurants have prices equal to home, the drinks are getting there. There a lot if trips we used to take like the Pelican Bar that we just find too expensive a day now. We used to talk at length with the salesmen on the beach and loved it. The occasional one would come and have a drink or try teach us how to play dominoes, but now the guys on the beach remind me of the guys in the travelling carnival booths selling "3 shots for 5 bucks". Makes you just want to walk by. I would like to get back to the quiet beach where you can sit and strike up a conversation with a local. Have you found that's the experience in Treasure Beach?
    [https://www.TickerFactory.com/]

User Info Menu

More Americanized, yes and why?? Because customers wanted French fries instead of rice and peas, quesadillas instead of brown stew chicken, imported liquors instead of Jamaican rum, imported beer instead of red stripe. I don’t know about anyone but myself but I enjoy ac, soft sheets, a mattress that doesn’t feel like a board, a real bathroom at restaurants on the beach. We may personally not like all of the changes that come with growth especially the more unsavory characters but it comes with growth.

Negril isn’t a little sleepy town any more. The residents are no longer isolated. They have access to the same technology and worldwide knowledge that the rest of us have.
    They may not have figured out how yet but I believe the government really does care about protecting tourism. I did witness much more police presence on the beach and road and saw a well known weed vendor taken away in handcuffs. It’s too bad that the changes take away the charm that draws some. I may too reach that point someday (I hope not) but I must say we loved or visit last week and we’ve now booked all our visits through Thanksgiving 2020. Ya Mon!!

User Info Menu

Accompong put it well saying how the first few times you visit seem magical, you want to repeat that feeling if possible, but every visit will be different. Feeling irie comes in different forms for everyone. Sure things have changed in Negril, but how can you expect time to stand still there, or anywhere else? Sure I loved camping on the beach at Roots, partying all night at Errol's, fantastic live music at De Buss, (where we could stand at the urinal to pee and still watch the band), sit by the Boat Bar when it was a small boat on the beach, or a fantastic, cheap, lobster dinner under candlelight ocean-side in the evening at Petes. Those are all gone, new businesses move in. Todays younger vacationers, millennials among others, expect a way different form of fun and "vibe' than we did back in the day. Lay back and chill doesn't cut it for many folks, people now days seem to need constant stimulation to enjoy themselves. Businesses have to adapt to the ever changing customer, and Negril resorts, hotels, bars and restaurants are no different. How many travelers would go anyplace today if they knew there was no internet available? The higglers are changing with the times also, using alternate modes to sell and transport their wares. I don't believe it's changing for the worse. it's simply changing, or evolving, like any other destination, and that evolution won't keep me from coming back.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by phineasfreakears View Post
    Accompong put it well saying how the first few times you visit seem magical, you want to repeat that feeling if possible, but every visit will be different. Feeling irie comes in different forms for everyone. Sure things have changed in Negril, but how can you expect time to stand still there, or anywhere else? Sure I loved camping on the beach at Roots, partying all night at Errol's, fantastic live music at De Buss, (where we could stand at the urinal to pee and still watch the band), sit by the Boat Bar when it was a small boat on the beach, or a fantastic, cheap, lobster dinner under candlelight ocean-side in the evening at Petes. Those are all gone, new businesses move in. Todays younger vacationers, millennials among others, expect a way different form of fun and "vibe' than we did back in the day. Lay back and chill doesn't cut it for many folks, people now days seem to need constant stimulation to enjoy themselves. Businesses have to adapt to the ever changing customer, and Negril resorts, hotels, bars and restaurants are no different. How many travelers would go anyplace today if they knew there was no internet available? The higglers are changing with the times also, using alternate modes to sell and transport their wares. I don't believe it's changing for the worse. it's simply changing, or evolving, like any other destination, and that evolution won't keep me from coming back.
    Well said and many great points !!
    [https://www.TickerFactory.com/]

[/url]