Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 5 of 24 FirstFirst 1234567891015 ... LastLast

Thread: Clarity, Markus and Jamar in Negril – Nov 2011 Trip Report: Day 1-3

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Clarity View Post
    Markus got changed into his bathing suit too and sat on the balcony with a smile. He had this kind of drugged look like that boy that had just gotten his teeth pulled out in that famous you tube video “Is this real life?”
    HAHAHAHAHA, that's is SO funny, that video had me roflmao.....I can see that look on Markus' face. (Glad he's feeling better btw)

Looooving ya'lls report!!!
    Stir IT UP

User Info Menu

Thanks SG, Angel, Gerry, Shauna!

Alisa & Rastagal –Bigga’s is definitely worth a stop on the way to Negril, especially if you enjoy spicy! Now that I have the “ketchup trick” down to a science, I know we’ll be stopping there again on our next reach.

PGW – Yes, The cottages directly on the beach are the best, aren’t they? I think I’ve been a little spoiled by this experience…

Tizzy – lol –Yeah, We were both pretty whacked out when we arrived at the hotel, After such a long red eye flight - any rational person would have gone straight to bed (for a nap at least)…but we were all way too excited.

Ralonzo –Of course, I’ve searched high and low for good Jerk chicken in SF! Sadly there is only one good Caribbean restaurant located in SOMA and only open for lunch. I haven’t been there yet because it’s too far away from where I work. There are some Jerk chicken places I’ve heard about located in Oakland and Berkeley. I wish there were more…
    Maybe I should learn to MAKE jerk chicken myself – invest in one of those barrel cookers and keep it on the fire escape.
    Do you have good Jerk Chicken options in Florida?

NOLAnmr – I loved those pictures you’ve shared! Your wedding looked so beautiful, you both look so happy too! I really enjoyed our stay at the Coco La Palm, It’s the best stretch of beach on the strip and I loved their happy hour special. It was fun to read your trip report, especially since you also experienced the honeymoon suite at CCLP. It’s amazing isn’t it? You know it’s funny, on the trip I also had an experience with fighting Jetski drivers… except that me, Markus and Jamar were kinda trapped helplessly in the middle of it. ack! I’ll be writing about that later.

It was also interesting to read about your experience at Hedo II – I’ve always been curious about this infamous hotel. It sounds like you can have a pretty chill time there after all. I’m also interested in Sea Grape Villas! You mentioned you have a trip to Xtabi coming up. Where are you leaving? Look forward to reading about your experiences there!

Glad you enjoyed our last trip report (Can’t believe you read it all in one night – It’s like the “War and Peace” of trip reports. Lol – we got a little carried away) We had so much fun writing it. Markus and I would make dirty Bananas and listen to Reggae while we typed it together. It was fun reading each other’s impressions of the people we encountered and places we went.

This trip report is harder… now we’re far apart from eachother…in two different countries with two different time zones.
    I'm really missing him
    There should be a new TR update from Markus tonight.
    Last edited by Clarity; 11-22-2011 at 02:16 AM.
    Carpe Diem

User Info Menu

Love your report Clarity! I am always so happy when I log on and you have written more. Jamar's report is nice too!
    Shauna, have you found any good JA restaurants in the Clearwater area? I'm heading down in two weeks to visit my son and would like to go to one. He found one a long time ago in St. Pete but I don't know if it is still there.

User Info Menu

Bonnie, there used to be a really great one in St Pete, but it is long gone. There are probably a couple there now though since there does seem to be a Caribbean presence in St pete.....Marko might know more since he lives in St pete.......there are none at all in Clearwater sadly. We had one but it closed rather quickly.
    The Jerk Hut is in Tampa, several locations and they are really good, probably the closest to authentic that we have around here, and they have a full menu, patties, coco bread, oxtail, curry goat, jerk chicken, they even have peppered shrimp. I highly recommend them.

There is a more big name restaurant very close to our house though in Clearwater which has a caribbean flare, sort of like a Bahama Breeze, and they are actually really good! We love eating (and drinking) there LOL. It is called Rumba and it is right on 60 (Gulf to Bay) in Clearwater.

User Info Menu

OK, I know exactly where Rumba is. I've always wanted to go because it looks like a pretty cool place. I spend a lot of time in down there. Will be there for the whole month of December. Will check out Rumba! Thanks!

User Info Menu

Sweet! We are within walking distance to the place! We have been many times and always have fun and a good meal!

User Info Menu

Jamaica Nov 2011 – Day 1

The Ride

The moment Chickens 4-door-Sedan pulled up Jamar called shot-gun. It was easy to see that there was some nervousness and apprehension in him, but his urge to finally make contact with a Jamaican brethren won out. He usually charges quickly and forcefully, when he is nervous and so Jamar struck up a conversation with Chicken before the poor man could even close the driver-side door.

Our new Jamaican guardian navigated through the crowds of students and honking vehicles into a lush green landscape dotted with colorful shacks, upper class-villas and free roaming livestock. Jamar poured forward question after question and barely waited to hear the answers. It seemed, as if he had carried the questions around inside of him for such a long time, that once he let loose, there was no holding back. Once the first question broke through, the whole dam came down. He had asked us many of the questions before. But he rightly felt that they were better gotten straight from the horse's mouth, than heard through the grapevine.

Question after question, he received answers that were contradictory to his instinct and one could soon observe the change in him, that is so typical in visitors to the island. There was a noticeable relaxation occuring and the inhibiting social anxiety, that has become second nature to most of us, slowly fell by the way side.

We soon pulled over at a small bar by the road to answer our craving for a sip of delicious mid-day beer. A round for everyone was quickly obtained, We soon felt our relaxation deepen. Deep in silent appreciation of the landscape, I think we all forgot that we had still a ways of driving to do and sort of settled into the place we were at.

Suddenly we noticed Jamar was missing, but immediately found him a few yards down the road, where another Jamaican was showing him some merchandise. Jamar returned with a bracelet around the wrist, obtained in record time barely an hour after touching down.

When we settled back into the vehicle, we were all jubilant, realizing our trip had barely begun and already almost nothing of who we had been just hours ago seemed to have any relevance. The only thing that really counted was this exact moment.

We delved back into our topic of acceptance and “respect” with much enthusiasm. We explored the nicknames Jamaicans have for each other and laughed about the directness of observations contained in them. So if your skin is white, why not call you “Whitey”. If you are tall, one ought to call you “tall-man” and if you’re big, your name should certainly be “Bigga”. The novelty being that “Bigga” is no more offensive than “tall-man”. In fact it's meant as a simple observation, and as such, it incurs no wrath.

We explored deeper into the feeling of all connectedness and absence of judgment and the whole conversation turned into a sort of clapping and dancing. Like a celebration of harmony and intercultural exchange. I was profoundly reminded of the book I had read a few pages of at the gate in Atlanta. It suddenly occurred to me that it all related.

Jamaica, might just be a craving for a long lost collective sanity, that for one moment lets us all be who we are and stops the damned continuous stream of criticism, comparison and competition, driving the motor behind our insatiable need for always more than what we have.

Then I pointed into the sky past the rear view mirror at a large bird. High up above the trees-tips the thing seemed to be aiming right for us, in a sort of meandering pattern, with about the same elegance Leonardo Da Vinci must have had during his first aviation attempts.

Me:” Look a Turkey Vulture!”

Chicken attempted to look straight up over the steering wheel... Then his face frowned: “Ya Mon! That's a Drunken Crow!”

Me:”a.. what?”

Chicken turned around to face me: “Drunken Crow, Mon!” The flight pattern did fit the description. “Bad Bird. That is also a very bad insult, Mon. When you call someone that in school?, o-ho!, Mon, you get beat up, Mon!”

“I see”, I thought to myself, 'so after all, all is not well in paradise. This is a tough spot for a Turkey Vulture.'

But then Chicken's face turned back to a broad smile and his low trademark laugh rolled down his tummy like an gently bouncing oversized bolder. “Ho ho ho ho ho!” And we all started laughing and roaring again, while the landscape rolled past us.

We finally reached Bigga's. Daisy had her camera ready and pointed as we rolled to a stop.

A large figure of a man was looking at us, over his shoulder. He had been in the middle of a game of Domino's, his face giving away no hint as to whether or not we were welcome visitors

When we made no sign of departing, and now rudely pointed two cameras in his direction, the man - amply called “Bigga” - slowly got of his stool and took position behind the counter.

Daisy (enthusiastically):”You must be Bigga!”

Bigga: “Ya Mon!”

...end of conversation.

Very Stoic, Bigga is. Not big into small talk and very focused on preparing an excellent meal.

We all ordered a quarter chicken each,

Except for Chicken himself. Chicken ordered the soup and declared that he had indeed been a vegetarian for the last 27 years. Go figure!

I don't think I need to report on the extraordinary spiciness of Bigga's sauce. Jamar made that point very clearly.

Our stomachs filled and utterly exhausted the last leg of the trip past wordlessly, but in the highest of spirits. Once we reached Negril, Chicken was a willing well of information and freely answered even the silliest questions we might have about such fanciful places like Hedonism II, The Roof Top, Triple X and Srub-a-dub and his own experiences there.

We finally pulled up at the familiar entrance to the Grand Pineapple, where we said our temporary good-byes to Chicken, making arrangement for some later adventures together. The transportation and its amenities had been so splendid, that we were all radiantly glowing with happiness even before our reach had begun in earnest.

As soon as we entered we were greeted like family. The amazing Tayshaun was there to greet us and we received warm hugs and welcome drinks. Check in was as quick and painless as the customs had been. We soon trotted behind our suitcases to our new abode: room 50, on the second floor of a beautiful little beach-side cottage.

Daisy was ecstatic and did her usual happy-to-be-in-a-hotel-dance. A pretty flower/towel heart adorned the bed and the light was shining brightly into the cool room. The warm ocean breeze was beckoning from the cracked open door.

We changed into swimming gear and sat happily on the balcony with Daisy
    That was when Jamar appeared with his first Dirty Banana in hand…Time for the vacation to begin.

I’m sorry I have to end it here. It’s late here in Germany, I have to be up in six hours.
    I will pick up where Daisy left off in my next update.
    Last edited by Hubby-man; 01-27-2012 at 05:57 PM.

User Info Menu

Hubby-man hope you are feeling better.
    Da Ninja - 1st Annual Belly Flop Champ - Soon Come

~Fear accompanies the possibility of Death, Calm shepherds its certainty.

People's actions no longer affect a warrior when he has no more expectations of any kind. A strange peace becomes the ruling force in his life. He has adopted one of the concepts of a warrior's life -- detachment.
    ~from "The Eagle's Gift"~
    blog.ralonzosinclair.com

User Info Menu

Another wonderful report! I am laughing at Daisy's first meet up with Bigga.....exactly the same conversation (or lack of) that I had with him the first time I stopped there.

User Info Menu

LOL, Orchid....I was thinking the exact same thing! That is pretty much how my first conversation went with Bigga! ha

Markus, hope you are feeling much better by now. Thanks for taking time to write for us, you know how we all enjoy your reports! It makes me smile so big reading your stories of your ride with Chicken and of his laugh....you captured his manerisms and spirit perfectly.
    You and Daisy just have such a way with words and how you can completely capture the moment, the scenery or even the person and retell it perfectly as if we were all there with you!

Awesome!