Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 11 of 24 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314151621 ... LastLast

Thread: Clarity, Markus and Jamar in Negril – Nov 2011 Trip Report: Day 1-3

User Info Menu

12:12 AM. (seriously???) That was a disappointing discovery. I know Manda will understand what I'm talking about.

Hahaha just like me waking up in the middle of the night. So confusing when you're full of excitement and then have to try and fall back asleep.

I only just started this read, as I had heard it was on a delay. I am very happy to know that Markus is better.

I've just caught up on all 10 pages but sort of wish I had waited until you were finished because now I am sitting here waiting waiting anticipating more. I love that each of you are giving your view of the same time/events. Great report !

User Info Menu

I am really enjoying this report and happy that Marcus is back and feeling better, I can feel the love between you two and the love you both have for JA.

User Info Menu

I am really getting a kick out of reading your trip report! As soon as I am done writing out all my experiences on facebook, plan on doing a 'sanitized' trip report here myself, but I already know it can't even come close to yours! I am loving this! and it was a real pleasure gettting to meet you in person, even if only very briefly!

User Info Menu

Thanks Ralonzo & Marley! – Shauna, your description of our vacation personalities had me laughing. “Markus is the jump right in, balls to the wall experience all the excitement and experience from sun up to sun down without a care, at least until boss lady tells him it is time to move to the next place on the list! “ LOL! You have it right on the money! We can't wait to meet you both!

Gerryg123 – thanks for the compliment! – your trip is right around the corner now, right? We'll try to finish this TR before you and Brasi reach the rock. How many days do we have?

Seveen – Yes, we're hoping to go back in April for our anniversary. We don't have tickets or anything yet.. but we're filling up our “Irie box” as fast as we can and we're crossing our fingers that the cost of airfare goes down.

Yes we're hooked. There is no hope for us. My friends think we're crazy, but Jamaica has changed our lives in so many positive ways. There is nowhere else we want to be to celebrate our 10 year anniversary.

IrieLuv – Me too! I'm usually afraid of regular dogs. (I was attacked by German Shephards when I was seven years old) I'll cross the street to get away from one that is heading in my direction. The dogs in Jamaica don't frighten me at all.

NOLAmnr – do you also get all the PBR merchandise and free coupons too? Haha, it's a great perk. I wish we also had a friend that worked for Red Stripe!

Thank you LadyP! and Negrilaholic – It was great meeting you too! I'm looking forward to reading your “sanitized” trip report!

Manda81 – yeah, I knew you would relate! The first night is always the hardest. It's impossible to sleep when you're so excited.

And I'm sorry that we're taking forever to finish this... it's been a stressful couple of weeks and I had to put our TR on the backburner to finish my finals. Now with the semester over and all the holiday craziness behind us.. we can finally finish up this trip report. I'm shooting for one update each day... at that rate, we could finish this in 10 days? We're going to kick it into overdrive.

Okay, Markus is up next...
    Last edited by Clarity; 12-27-2011 at 01:25 AM.
    Carpe Diem

User Info Menu

TRIP REPORT CONTINUED...

So when we last left off Daisy was in a hurry to get to the Canoe and walking ten steps ahead of us.

Jamar protested that he didn't have any cash and Daisy reluctantly agreed to stopping at Negril's only reliable ATM at Scotia Bank downtown.

Chicken, who usually conveniently parked across the street from the Grand Pineapple was no where to be found. Instead another cab driver was parked at the lobby ready to go.

As agreed we stopped at the bank, and both me and Jamar got out. Daisy, concerned for our safety asked the cab-driver to walk to the ATM with us, which he did with enthusiasm. While Jamar was taking out money inside the cabby lifted his shirt and proudly showed me the firearm he had stowed in his waistband.

“How is that making anything safer?”I thought to myself. Scenes from “Shottas” came to mind....

When we arrived at the Canoe, it was getting dark. A red glow illuminated the Horizon, while straight above the sky had already taken a darker shade.

All three of us have been watching Rob & Lisa's webcasts for months. In our apartment It's a sort of ambient background noise. I feel like the Seastar Drummers live with us.

As you can imagine we stumbled up the steps into Canoe Bar with wild enthusiasm and expectation, like life-long fans invited to Oprah!

We greeted the first people we saw, sitting around a table on the veranda, with loud enthusiasm, screaming: “WE ARE HERE! WE MADE IT!” - The group stared back at us with empty expression all around.

OK, so we stated our respective screen names, hoping for some sort of..... reaction?

Me: “I am Hubby-man!” - Tada!

The group reacted alright, but by looking more befuddled then ever, Their expression clearly read:“Who are you people?”.

It dawned on us. These people have absolutely nothing to do with Negril.com. They just happen to have some drinks in the same bar where the webcast is. How mortifying.

We were rescued from our embarrassment by Lola, who recognized Daisy and pointed us to the other room at the Canoe, where we saw the back of Rob's head silhouetted against a Laptop screen.

While Daisy stayed outside to chat with Lola for a while, Jamar and I hastened inside to get away from our humiliation, hoping to find other people with screen-names inside.

The inside of the bar was very homey and about the size of an average living room, decorated like one as well. Oddly for Jamaica, snow shoes and other alpine decorations adorned the wall. On the side of the room facing the Sea the windows weren't just open, but seemed entirely removed from their sockets to give unobstructed view of the spot, where the sun had set, towards which Rob's Camera was pointed.

Rob had two guy pals on chairs next to him. They each had one arm leisurely draped over the backrest and held a drink in the other. Everyone seemed deep in conversation and we hesitated to speak to anyone, shell-shocked from our recent mishap.

Instead we fled to the safety of the bar and ordered the discounted value pack of rum-punches.

With drinks in hand we plopped down on the sofa next to two ladies already seated there. We introduced ourselves and were relieved to find out, they had screen names too. Hurrah! We were finally physically in Negril.com.

Like Tron we were now INSIDE the Computer.

Now here you have to forgive me. I am not super good with names and I know I am leaving out at least two folks here. The only names I remember are due to an ingenious mnemonic device. The Canadians (who must have been responsible for the snowshoes on the wall) introduced themselves as "Canadian BS",...or: Bruce and Sandy.

An engaging conversation was started and we learned that we were dealing with some hard-core Negrillians. Of course we had a lot of questions.

Then I noticed the silhouette of my wife behind Rob, shyly inching towards the silent man huddled over his computer equipment. She was folded over, as if that would make her somehow less noticeable and clutched a Rum punch close to her chest, as if it were the last thing she owned.

Indeed unnoticed she peered over Rob's shoulders at the screen, like a poor person, gazing at forbiddingly expensive merchandise in a jewelers glass case, careful not to touch anything.

Daisy can be ridiculously shy. Rob (only without Lisa around, as Daisy explained much later) is not exactly Mr. Outgoing himself. While Jamar was in deep conversation I watched as the two neared the moment of recognition.

Finally Daisy asked: “Who is online tonight?” Rob turned around. “Hi I'm Clarity.”She stuck out her hand. There was none of the fireworks or whatever one might imagine to materialize, when two people, who have long known of each other transition to knowing each other (not in the biblical sense, this somehow didn't sound right on the second read). Some people are explosive. This was a quiet encounter in as much as was observable from the outside. But at least for Daisy, I know, this was a meaningful moment.

Their first meeting was shy, but it should not be the last one on this trip. And for Daisy this was not the only big moment of the night.

For weeks now, Daisy had prepared us to meet the famous Hurricane Bea, We had even seen her in a you tube clip, making the security guard blush, while trying to start a midday dance party on the beach.

Her entrance was magnificent. Bella Bea was fashionably late and stopped on top of the stoop to regally take in the room. Her dark hair, which fell just passed her shoulder was adorned by a Hibiscus flower matching her dress, and the moment she came into the cameras view, the chatroom went a flutter with comments about her shoes and wardrobe.

We all got big hugs before she joined us on the couch, Daisy now sat down for the first time herself. Jamar dived in with the typical flourish of questions.

It was a jolly round that evening. The rum punches were VERY potent and it got late quickly.

Our driver had arrived to pick us up. Bea opted to take our cab, since here hotel was on the way to hers.
    In hindsight not a safe decision as our driver was now more preoccupied with flirting than focusing on the road. After we dropped her off, he let out a loud sigh, turned to us and made some forward comments, to show that he was sad to see this particular fare go.

Before she left we made plans to meet Bea in front of the jungle a little later that night. Out front at 10:30.

I wasn't to fond of the whole Jungle idea, I am more into visiting naturally occurring Forests. Having heard it described as an L.A. Style night club didn't make me like it anymore.

There was no talking Daisy and Jamar out of it. So next up was a night at The Jungle...

To be continued...
    Last edited by Hubby-man; 12-27-2011 at 01:18 AM.

User Info Menu

The Jungle's up next....can't wait. I'm glad you're feeling better hubbyman. I've never seen the Hurricane Bea video, where can I find it.

User Info Menu

great stuff. as for the taxi guy, this is why tourists should not run out on their fare!!!

User Info Menu

YAY!!!!!
    So glad you are both back....and loving the trip report as always! Woo hoo

User Info Menu

Thanks S-G and Marley!
    More coming soon
    Carpe Diem

User Info Menu

Gerryg123 - haha - no kidding! that's a stunt I'll never attempt!
    Carpe Diem