Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Should I be concerned? ... and Christmas plans

User Info Menu

Re: Should I be concerned? ... and Christmas plans

Quote Originally Posted by alix View Post
    Our family will be spending a week during Christmas (23-30) at Rondel Village. This probably wouldn't have been our first choice had we have booked earlier, but I'm sure we'll be very happy there. We've been to Jamaica in 2018 at an AI in Bloody Bay. We spent an afternoon at 7 Mile and decided this is where we wanted to return. Since booking, I'm starting to be a bit nervous. I've been reading about the state of emergency and that's concerning. Then I read that everything is costing more as a result of the Jamaican dollar devaluation.

Our plan once arriving (Dec 24th) is to walk along the beach into town to a store and buy a few things to have on hand, alcohol, mix, munchies, etc. (all our meals will be in restaurants) then taxi back to our hotel. Our kids are adults so I expect some later nights also, walk to restaurants for evening meals. I've read to stick to the roads, not beach.

Are my concerns unfounded? (fingers crossed)
    I just returned from 40+ days out on the island and only visited Negril a couple of times for an hour or two and came in contact with the SOE forces several times at different check points. One time we were "extorted" for $1000 Jamaican by a soldier which was irritating and, other than the wait to pass through the check points, the minor inconvenience is worth, in my opinion, the reduction in serious crime most everywhere on the island. If you are staying in the Negril area you will probably not encounter a Check Point except for on the way to Negril which you will just be waived through most probably.

I assume you are coming from the US (your profile doesn't show a country) so any price increases will be offset by the higher valuation of the US dollars you exchange so that should not be much of a concern.

Uncross your fingers and have a great trip.

Free Opinions Offered. No tipping required. Hours: Open when I feel like it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by alix View Post
    Stopping in Montego Bay won't be possible as we won't have a driver. What is Lucy?
    how are you getting to negril?

User Info Menu

We're flying Sunwing (ugg!) so we'll be in a charter bus.
    Quote Originally Posted by JitterBug View Post
    how are you getting to negril?

User Info Menu

Thanks for the shopping recommendations. I think we'll check out the minimart first. I think we'd prefer to walk in Negril if we decide to go, unless that's not advisable. Looked on Goole maps and it seems ok. Only road for part of the way.

Quote Originally Posted by ukran1ans View Post
    Ok, sounds like your family is taking one of the larger tour buses into Negril that stops at multiple hotels. You won't have to walk into town iThanks for the shopping recommendations. I think we'll check out the minimart first. I think we'd prefer to walk in Negril if we decide to go, unless that's not advisable. Looked on Goole maps and it seems ok. Only road for part of the way.f you're looking for room supplies. If you cross the road, turn right(heading towards town), and walk half a mile, you'll find the Sweetspot mini mart which has plenty of alcohol and snacks on hand. If you walk down further towards town, another half mile and cross the road back to the beach side, you'll find another mini mart (Uno's I think, before Merrills III resort). Finally, if you think that won't be good enough, just grab a red license cab (negotiate price before you hop in) and have them take you to Hi-Lo in town (the driver will hangout til you're done shopping if you ask him).

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ukran1ans View Post
    You won't have to walk into town if you're looking for room supplies. If you cross the road, turn right(heading towards town), and walk half a mile, you'll find the Sweetspot mini mart which has plenty of alcohol and snacks on hand. If you walk down further towards town, another half mile and cross the road back to the beach side, you'll find another mini mart (Uno's I think, before Merrills III resort). Finally, if you think that won't be good enough, just grab a red license cab (negotiate price before you hop in) and have them take you to Hi-Lo in town (the driver will hangout til you're done shopping if you ask him).
    Just a bit further towards town from Rondel than Sweet Spot is the Shamrock mini mart, which has for several years been my own "go to" place for supplies of all kinds. It's about a 10 minute walk from Rondel, just past Grand Pineapple. Shamrock also carries their own brand of fresh squeezed orange juice. Pretty much as soon as we arrive I pick up a bottle of OJ for the fridge and a broom to help keep down the sand in the room.

Since the sidewalk has been completed, walking along the road to all these places has been much more pleasant.