Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 7 of 24 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111217 ... LastLast

Thread: Sailboat on the beach at Treehouse?

User Info Menu

Re: Sailboat on the beach at Treehouse?

I love the Lion of Judah flag flying proudly. If I had a boat I'd fly a flag like that and most likely I'd also end up beached!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by johng View Post
    kwizz how in heck's name did the beached sailboat do a 180 overnight??
    The day prior, the boat was “floating” when completely heeled over via the weight on the halyard. Keel was free, and boat was bobbing in small waves.

The next morning there were much larger waves than “normal”. Not huge, but big enough. They caused the boat to swing around, parallel to the beach, still heeled over, but keel towards shore! Nasty orientation as waves were going over the gunwale. This from a fellow guest at CCLP, who saw this at about 6:30 am.

I’m assuming someone had the presence of mind to swing the boat around into a safer orientation — easiest thing would be to attach something to bow and swing it around.

Today, the forms are off the new cement “anchors”. Boat seems to be a bit higher (more aground) than yesterday.

User Info Menu

Thanks Gail! Didn't think it was Treehouse.

User Info Menu

Sounds like there my have been a missed opportunity.

User Info Menu

Here's a picture of the Sea anchors they made to try and winch the boat back out to deeper water...….. At this point I think Mother Nature is going to be the winner...… Just my opinion... The boat seems to have moved closer to shore or the beach is rebuilding itself with the boat stuck...…. There was probably 20 feet of beach washed away in the storm and it's coming back and it doesn't care about the boat and is filling in around the boat...…. We had a situation like this happen back home years ago and they had a tug boat hook up to the stuck boat and used the prop wash to clear the sand out...…. Don't know if that would work here as the Tug would have to get close enough to shore or the boat for the Prop wash to be effective...….

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

kwizz another excellent feat of photo journalism, awesome photos!! Thanks so much for keeping us all updated!! I am not an engineer but considering the shallow beach would a dredge pumping sand out behind the boat while a tug or other capable boat pulls the sailboat through the trench opening the dredge has created to deeper water?? Bottom line is the owner has to get his wallet out and pony up for the proper equipment whatever that might be!! What do I know maybe the sea anchor approach works. Keep us posed if you can. thanks again!!

User Info Menu

Fabulous photos kwizz.
    Irie Sue

User Info Menu

Some wind, and more waves today. Not as big as Sunday, but certainly not helping situation.

The have some lifting bags today. Currently, they have one inflated under the bow, and a couple un-inflated on the beach.

Cement anchors are now gone from the beach.

User Info Menu

ThePachenas thanks for the updates. From the photos on this thread the beached sailboat looks like a really nice boat. I'm rooting for it's salvage however accomplished!! Please keep the updates coming!!