Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kinda Bummed but still looking forward to March reach

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

User Info Menu

Kinda Bummed but still looking forward to March reach

Well our much anticipated trip to JA with my son and his bride (their honeymoon) has taken a crazy disappointing turn ... They were waiting for one of their passports to arrive to find it got denied due to an unknown felony warrant from a traffic stop a few years back where they found CBD oil (they were not even charged for it at the time)

So given the unclear muddy wording of a Texas 2019 law for CBD oil possession (as a class B felony!) the DA's and Criminal defense attorney's can't even figure out if the new law is retrospective or not to previous years, looks like it may just be my wife and I only on this reach ... a real disappointment and shocker for all of us ..

Not that we aren't still looking forward to coming, but sure puts a whole different vibe for the trip knowing they will not be there after all the planning ..

Thanks for listening ...
    [https://www.TickerFactory.com/]

[/url]

User Info Menu

Re: Kinda Bummed but still looking forward to March reach

sorry to hear that. maybe contact your congresman

User Info Menu

jamman I agree with original spanky but how about contacting an immigration attorney in Texas first? Most lawyers will give a first free consultation. At least you can get some answers on the passport end of things. Your son hasn't been convicted of anything so far?? I am surprised that a passport application can be denied or delayed by an allegation!! Maybe with some luck (and good lawyers) you'll have your family trip after all....

User Info Menu

There is a felony arrest warrant they filed and Dept of State saw that they will deny a passport for that ...

[/url]

Sponsor

User Info Menu

I don't think an immigration lawyer is needed. Just a local lawyer with the right contacts. Warrants are not supposed to be outstanding for years and he should be able to get it dismissed. You said you talked to a DA but I think they tend to listen more if you go through an attorney.

User Info Menu

Local Lawyer said DA is choosing to prosecute CBD oil cases and if they turn themselves in (with the lawyer present) they would be arrested and have to bond out and they run the risk of this being prosecuted as a class B felony .. he can't guarantee the result and until the trial date they would have to show up weekly for pre-trial drug testing, which rules out the trip even if they get the passport ..

Lawyer said the odd thing is that no cause was filed and it's been a few years ...

Some of these counties in Texas are over the top ...

[/url]

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jamman View Post
    Local Lawyer said DA is choosing to prosecute CBD oil cases and if they turn themselves in (with the lawyer present) they would be arrested and have to bond out and they run the risk of this being prosecuted as a class B felony .. he can't guarantee the result and until the trial date they would have to show up weekly for pre-trial drug testing, which rules out the trip even if they get the passport ..

Lawyer said the odd thing is that no cause was filed and it's been a few years ...

Some of these counties in Texas are over the top ...
    "Land of the Free and Home of the Brave"? - my kold a$$ it is.

In Texas is it illegal to take more than three sips of beer at a time while standing.

User Info Menu

This is absolutely ridiculous. I am fortunate to live in Canada and I use CBD with THC for back pain and migraines. There is NO high from it but as a medicine it works! To Prosecute anyone for this is too much.
    Irie Sue

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SLP View Post
    This is absolutely ridiculous. I am fortunate to live in Canada and I use CBD with THC for back pain and migraines. There is NO high from it but as a medicine it works! To Prosecute anyone for this is too much.
    CBD is legal federally as per the 2018 Farm Bill. A quick google search yielded half a dozen places where one can buy CBD oil in Texas.

How the hell can a da prosecute someone if it's legal? Dumb as ****.

User Info Menu

They are prosecuting the cases that happen before that farm bill passed ..

This happened in 2018 .. that bill passed in 2019 but imho it should be retroactive and the wording is ambiguous so the DA's going for the money grabs are pushing it ... makes NO sense !

[/url]