Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: NBCC - The rest of the story/after story from Mrs. Gaynair

User Info Menu

perhaps a warning sign in lobby or posted on room doors...or mabey management can be proactive on guests bringing new aquaintances into hotel

User Info Menu

I agree that a hotel has the right to allow or not allow local visitors. After over 20 years of seeing the runnings first hand I also have the right to not select a hotel that has lax guest rules...There is a place for all of us regardless of which rule you support....
    BE A TRAVELR

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BR Mon View Post
    I agree that a hotel has the right to allow or not allow local visitors. After over 20 years of seeing the runnings first hand I also have the right to not select a hotel that has lax guest rules...There is a place for all of us regardless of which rule you support....
    Here's an example from SamSara/Legends...

18.Does Samsara & Legends allow unregistered visitors onto the property?
    A.Yes! Everyone is welcome at Samsara & Legends Negril Hotels. If a registered hotel guest wishes to invite a friend who is not a registered guest at the hotel, they only have to sign the visitor in at the front desk or with the security guard. If the unregistered guest decides to spend the night at the hotel, there is an applicable fee.
    "Yeah, I'm cocky and I am arrogant. But that doesn't mean I'm not a nice person."

—Jeremy Roenick

User Info Menu

If I get a passport issued in Jamaica would you ban me or allow me to stay in the same property as other tourists.
    If you would like to ban people what is the criteria?
    Country of issue of passport?
    Birthplace
    Skincolour
    Accent
    Amount in bank account.
    If someone could define who they would like banned that would make the conversation easier.
    Also are you talking about banning black Jamaicans, mixed and white or just one or two of these categories.What about Jamaicans who were born in Jamaica then moved overseas for 20 years and now come back for a holiday but still have a Jamaican passport?Shall we ban all them too?
    Don't get me wrong I value security at hotels too and I do not like random people walking around who should not be there.But that is anyone regardless of who they are or where they from and if the security is good enough they will know who is doing what and where particularly at the smaller properties which I prefer to stay in.

That does not mean the properties should ban all Jamaicans that just means get a better security guard.Perhaps the next thing would be the ban of all Jamaican workers in Jamaica . I am wondering if they are not good enough for some people to have around on the same property as them enjoying the same amenities then why would you want them cooking or cleaning for you or serving you drinks.hmmmm
    Last edited by TiCtOc; 11-22-2011 at 12:59 PM.

User Info Menu

In this scenario regarding the original NBCC post, the friend was not a 'vacation pickup' - he WAS A REGISTERED GUEST AT THE HOTEL, along with the visitor. regardless of who this person 'really' is, as was discovered after the fact (and perhaps which the OP was blind to) - at the time when these incidents occurred, he was a paying guest. So these ideas about barring 'visitors' from hotels are not relevant to this discussion. Nor would that prevent something similar from happening, since it's VERY common for the visitor to register their so-called boyfriend/girlfriend as a hotel guest; their name is on the room.

none of these ideas being purported about barring local people from being paying guests of a hotel IN THEIR OWN COUNTRY, are anywhere NEAR a solution to the issue that is being discussed. i won't even go into what i think of people want to go on vacation and keep locals out. really? if you want to insulate yourself from the people, yet you are in their country, you may as well just go to a resort at home.

Trying to "legislate" whether or not individuals hook up with, or get in relationships with, local people is not the answer. it's not a hotel's responsibility to "monitor" guests, or tell them who they can and cannot hang out with.

the ONLY solution is PERSONAL RESPONSIBLITY. lock your doors. use the security bars. pay attention. behave honestly. tell the truth. if you get involved with a pros or gigolo, know what you're getting into. be an adult and act accordingly - be prepared for the possible consequences; take your lumps if s#$t happens, and don't blame the results on anything outside yourself.

for those tourists who feel it's a good idea to stay in a property where local people are not permitted; or if they like the idea of management being mommy & daddy, treating hotel guests like 5-year-old-children by "being proactive on guests bringing new aquaintances into hotel". (seriously??) - there are properties with those types of policies in place, if you feel that's the way to go.
    Last edited by MissBlue; 11-22-2011 at 01:54 PM.

User Info Menu

Tic, you are the one who is making this into a black/white thing, nobody else in either thread did.

The SamSara rules make sense - anyone on property without a legitimate business purpose (from the property's perspective) would need to be signed in by a guest as the visitor of the guest, and there will be a charge if the visitor stays overnight. This of course assumes that the property can afford the significant security force required to make this happen. To reasonably enforce something like this, even the smallest property would need a minimum of 3 security staff 24 hrs/day (one at the beach side, one at the road side, and one at a desk somewhere in the middle to deal with the registration). Are you paying enough for that kind of security?

I think that business are quite good at detecting who is a customer and who is not. If they aren't, they don't last long.

User Info Menu

To clarify, he was a registered guest. That doesn't make him a paying guest. The tourist was the paying guest who registered him as one of the occupants of the room. As MissBlue said, the registering of the Jamaican BF/GF is common. Trying to legislate who can come in & who can't might sound like a "good" idea but is totally unrealistic &, as the many comments show, is just not right or workable.

NBCC is known as being friendly & open to all. That is one of the many reasons they have a great reputation & are in demand. To discriminate against all to weed out a few bad seeds not a good policy. Signing in visitors/non-registered persons is the best any hotel can do.

User Info Menu

yes Yvonne, i hear you - but if someone is registered, 'which one' of the guests coughed up the money, is sort of a moot point - cause if both people are registered, and the room is properly paid-for, with both occupant's names' listed, the hotel won't always necessarily know WHOSE money it is. i can use myself as an example - back in the day me and my sweetie divided our time between my hotel and his house - and although i made the booking, used my CC, and was the one who interacted with the hotel, gave them our names, etc., he indeed contributed to the costs.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MissBlue View Post
    the ONLY solution is PERSONAL RESPONSIBLITY. lock your doors. use the security bars. pay attention. behave honestly. tell the truth. if you get involved with a pros or gigolo, know what you're getting into. be an adult and act accordingly - be prepared for the possible consequences; take your lumps if s#$t happens, and don't blame the results on anything outside yourself.
    I totally agree with this statement.

User Info Menu

sorry wrtii I did not mean to make it into any thing just think banning Jamaicans from places in their own country is taking things a bit far.I mentioned the black white thing as I am part of a black/white couple and there are black/white Jamaicans so just wondered if it would be a blanket ban of Jamaicans of any colour or if there would be a criteria and how that could ever be reinforced.

Can anyone explain what they feel the difference is between a guest being invited on property or a guest having paid to be on property?Either way they are still on property It does not make one better than the other but having a guest be signed in is good because security know who that person is with rather than just have people with no connection at the hotel wandering the grounds and possibly getting up to no good.
    I have taken Jamaican family members to holiday at a few places in Jamaica
    Legends in Negril being one of those places.
    I did confirm the arrangements beforehand and there were no issues at all.
    I could not dream of emailing a hotel owner who may be Jamaican themselves and having a full Jamaican staff and saying :

Dear Sirs, I would like to holiday at your hotel in Jamaica but I am just enquiring as to if any Jamaican people will be there visiting or working there as I believe that all Jamaicans should all be banned.I do not wish to speak to any Jamaicans or be near any Jamaicans I think they are all robbers.Look forward to staying with you.
    Ban Jamaicans in their own place