Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: How I got to Jamaica...too.

User Info Menu

Re: How I got to Jamaica...too.

A couple of more from a visit to White River and caving at Cooks Bottom and Cedar Springs.

From an Expedition to Cooks Bottom Cave. Although not as deep underground as some, the caverns are much larger than most. This is where the Maroons hid from the British during the Maroon Wars.
    Name:  070 COOKS BOTTOM CAVE.JPG
Views: 1146
Size:  672.4 KB
    Another Expedition to Cedar Springs Cave nearer to Accompong Town. This cave is narrower and deeper than Cooks Bottom with a little lake of water in some areas.
    Name:  060 CEDAR SPRING CAVE.jpg
Views: 1160
Size:  516.7 KB
    While staying at James Bond Beach, I took a trip up the White River to go tubing and swimming.
    Name:  050 WHITE RIVER.jpg
Views: 1123
Size:  545.0 KB
    Peace and Guidance
    Free Opinions Offered. No tipping required. Hours: Open when I feel like it.

User Info Menu

While on the topic of the Cockpits, I would like to share two pictures of the front and back of the LUMI currency currently being used internally by some of the residents of Accompong Town, St. Elizabeth Jamaica. There are still open question as to its legitimacy as a legal tender sanctioned by the Bank of Jamaica but, as of now, it is traded at some establishments in the town and there is a bank where it can be exchanged for Jamaican Currency when the bank is open.
    Name:  073 bank in accompong town.jpg
Views: 1067
Size:  45.2 KB
    http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/news/...257?profile=-1
    If nothing else, it makes for a “one of a kind” souvenir for tourists.
    Name:  071 LUMI BILL.jpg
Views: 1062
Size:  290.7 KB
    Name:  072 LUMI BILL BACK.jpg
Views: 1054
Size:  124.0 KB

User Info Menu

Here are a few more of the oldest pictures I have from 25 or 30 years ago.

This is a picture of an Accompong Town Kindergarten Pre-School class taken about 25 years ago when I visited bringing some school supplies and was asked to give the kids a brief talk.
    Name:  074 KidsSchoolAccompong.jpg
Views: 1011
Size:  213.1 KB

I took this picture 26 years ago on a hike to the Peace Cave led by my now deceased best friend, Clive "Marshall" Robb.
    Name:  075 Marshall Hike.jpg
Views: 996
Size:  600.7 KB

This is a picture of some neighbor kids on Marshall's grandfathers house verandah. I stayed here for several visits over the years some 25 or more years ago. I took this picture after waking up from a nap in a chair on that verandah finding the kids had cut off some of my hair.
    Name:  076 GFather House.jpg
Views: 996
Size:  373.7 KB

About 30 years ago, this picture was taken of the house where I lived in Seaview Gardens, Kingston.
    Name:  077 Seaview House.jpg
Views: 985
Size:  489.5 KB

User Info Menu

When I used to stay in Negril during the 90's, I stayed at the Negril Yacht Club that was owned by my good friend Chuck who was from my town in Florida.
    I picked up a brochure in the office with the only map I could find of Negril at the time. I thought you might enjoy seeing it yourself. I particularly like the way they show the interactions between Jamaicans and the tourists. Hope you enjoy.
    Name:  090 NEGRIL FUN MAP1.jpg
Views: 859
Size:  568.7 KB
    Name:  100 NEGRIL FUN MAP2.jpg
Views: 913
Size:  565.7 KB
    Peace and guidance.

User Info Menu

A few more of some favorite pictures.
    Rubber rafting the Black River from Appleton to the Maggotty Hydro Dam with my Austrian friends Robert and Helen.
    Name:  900 Boating on Black River.jpg
Views: 834
Size:  268.8 KB
    Relaxing at Maggotty Falls on the Black River below the hydro dam.
    Name:  905 Maggotty Falls.jpg
Views: 814
Size:  500.1 KB
    The old Maggotty Post Office.
    Name:  910 Old Maggotty Postoffice.jpg
Views: 864
Size:  453.5 KB
    Fisherman's Beach at Frenchman's Cove, Treasure Beach in the '90s
    Name:  915 Frenchmans Beach.jpg
Views: 840
Size:  340.4 KB
    My old and dear friend George "Sylvester" Huggins, Gombe drum maker taking a break from work.
    Name:  920 George Huggins.jpg
Views: 802
Size:  493.5 KB

User Info Menu

A few more...
    The JRC Maggotty Train Station. One year I rented the old station master's quarters on the upper floor for $100US/mo.. It was cheap but a little spooky at the same time.
    Name:  925 Maggotty Rail Station.jpg
Views: 724
Size:  328.8 KB

Sometimes it took about 6 hours to get from Kingston to Montego Bay on the JRC train but, for about $8 US, it was a real bargain.
    Name:  930 JRC Train.jpg
Views: 742
Size:  485.0 KB

The Appleton Express Train that ran from Montego Bay to Appleton Rum Factory. It cost about $25 for a round trip and since I was friends with some of the crew, I was able to ride the train for free with free drinks when needed.
    Name:  935 Appleton Express.jpg
Views: 758
Size:  432.7 KB

Mr. Foster was the first Maroon I became friends with and he was the official Abeng Horn blower for the Accompong Town community. Picture taken at Apple Valley Park in Maggotty.
    Name:  940 Mr Foster Abeng.jpg
Views: 755
Size:  505.8 KB

This pay phone in Accompong Town was their only link to the outside world before cellular phones. There would be lines of people waiting patiently to make a call and, when you called that phone from the outside world, people would run and fetch the person being called.
    Name:  945 Last Phone Accompong Town.jpg
Views: 774
Size:  343.9 KB

User Info Menu

A few more....

The caverns inside the mountain at Roaring River have deep pools of cold water running through them. This is the largest cavern that is easily accessible.
    Name:  950 Inside RR Caves.JPG
Views: 660
Size:  360.2 KB

Taking a ride on a fishing boat from Frenchman's Bay in Treasure Beach to Black River followed by schools of dolphins and a quick stop at Floyd's Pelican Bar for a cold Red Stripe.
    Name:  955 Peck to BR.jpg
Views: 643
Size:  96.2 KB

Cruising up the Black River under the last low bridge into the Great Morass.
    Name:  960 BR Mirror.jpg
Views: 657
Size:  232.2 KB

My six-month stay in Billy's Bay, Treasure Beach was ending and the people wanted to give me a party. Here is a good friend "Shaker" steaming some reef fish for the party.
    Name:  965 Shaker Fish Fry.JPG
Views: 649
Size:  561.5 KB

Outside Ochi, going up Fern Gully are the "stilt walkers". They perform as once did their ancestors. It is an effective way to get tourists to stop for pictures and to shop their stalls.
    Name:  970 Ochi Stiltman.jpg
Views: 640
Size:  94.8 KB

User Info Menu

Here are a couple of pictures from a trip to Nine Mile and Bob Marley's Mausoleum I took with Marshall.

Here is a picture of Bob's bed in the house where he lived with his mother.
    Name:  980 Bob Bed Nine Mile.jpg
Views: 582
Size:  400.7 KB

A picture of the outside of Bob's house.
    Name:  975 Bob Nine Mile.jpg
Views: 583
Size:  407.3 KB

A picture of Bob's cousin who gave us the tour. BTW, it seems like everyone is Bob's cousin there. I particularly love the children in the picture. Especially the little girl "stylin'"
    Name:  985 Guide Kids Nine Mile.jpg
Views: 580
Size:  494.7 KB

User Info Menu

Here are a few from my adopted Jamaican hometown of Accompong Town St. Elizabeth taken during the January 6th Celebration of Cudjoe's Birthday.

Maroons from all over the World come home to Accompong Town for the Celebration. After a solemn ceremony over the graves of their ancestors, they climb the hill to the Kindah Tree to begin the Celebration.
    Name:  990 Kindah Tree.jpg
Views: 491
Size:  463.6 KB

Drumming and dancing to traditional songs plus the eating of unsalted pork, roosters and male yams as the traditional homage to those that came before and those that will come after begins.
    Name:  991 Kindah Drumming.jpg
Views: 471
Size:  384.1 KB

At the appointed time, the procession marches from the Kindah Tree though town and down the hill only to return to the Parade Ground to finish the Celebration through the night.
    Name:  992 Kindah Procession.jpg
Views: 528
Size:  579.0 KB

A short video of the drumming and dancing.

User Info Menu

What are male yams? I have been loving your photo commentary.
    Regards,
    Bob