Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Current US - Jamaican dollar exchange rate

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

User Info Menu

Current US - Jamaican dollar exchange rate

I am trying to plan on getting some Jamaican dollars before our December trip. I want to get an idea of what the current exchange rate is, Us Dollars to Jamaican Dollars. Is there anyone in Negril now who knows what the exchange rate is from a cambio, assuming they are even open? I know the rate is better at ATMs; but, I don't use a debit card in Negril. I appreciate your responses. Thanks, WM

User Info Menu

Re: Current US - Jamaican dollar exchange rate

According to the FX Trader website their giving 133.5 for US.
    Sing unto God, sing praises to his name: extol him that rideth upon the heavens by his name JAH, and rejoice before him. KJV Psalm 68:4

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ras Walleye View Post
    It is J$135 to US$1 at Banmark....
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    It is J$135 to US$1 at Banmark....
    Thanks, Rob. That sounds about right from what I could tell at Foreign currency exchanges at banks.

User Info Menu

Fargoman, i use my bank america debit card at scotia bank and i believe they dont take any %. i am a retired employee but dont believe that is why.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ras Walleye View Post
    Thanks, Ras. I saw that.

User Info Menu

I used to go to the cambios but now I go through the drive thru at Scotia Bank In Mobay on the way to Negril. If you have a Bank of America or Merrill Lynch account, they take only about 1.5% which is way better then cambios. It works slick except you will get some 5000 Js out of the machine. I know there are some other banks that partner with them too.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fargoman View Post
    I used to go to the cambios but now I go through the drive thru at Scotia Bank In Mobay on the way to Negril. If you have a Bank of America or Merrill Lynch account, they take only about 1.5% which is way better then cambios. It works slick except you will get some 5000 Js out of the machine. I know there are some other banks that partner with them too.

As I stated in my post, I don't use debit cards at ATMs in Negril.

User Info Menu

I have a Ally checking account and use it at either Scotia or the national bank ATMs and only get hit with a 1% international transaction fee. It's worked well the last 3 years to get the lowest rate possible for me. It's an online bank account and it's free to open from anywhere in the states. IF you're nervous about it being compromised, just load your Ally checking account with the money you'll pull out at an atm, keeping the rest in a free Ally savings account that takes seconds to transfer to your checking account on their cell phone app. It's also easy to transfer money from Ally to other bank's accounts (even though it takes about 3 days to do so). Because $135 sounds good from a cambio til you realize that the international rate is currently $148.5 (with my Ally account, I'd get $146 probably).
    Last edited by ukran1ans; 08-07-2020 at 08:38 AM.

User Info Menu

I agree ukran1ans..it does add up in savings as I like to pay as much as I can in J...but I understand some people aren't comfortable with ATMs...I am not either and only go to where its at a physical location at the bank..