Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Customs ????

User Info Menu

I dont go for the food

Realy don't like much of the food, Chicken is what i eat most. The breakfast meats are sicking to me . I couldn't find spam some knock off brand . just like the newports u buy in Jamaica not same as U S cigs. Thanks for the info. Soon come (spam and Bacon) Limo Mon!

User Info Menu

They will take away ANY AND ALL meat or dairy products. They are death on keeping Mad Cow Disease OUT of Jamaica. Not too sure that will work to keep it out BUT they have these policies in place for more than frivolous reasons, and it is clearly stated on the Jamaican customs web page. Some people think it's OK to cheat, and I am not judging that BUT let me say that deliberately and knowingly ignoring the laws and customs of a country that they are ALLOWING you to visit- before you even step foot in the country- is not exactly starting out with positive energy. Karma can be a *****, and I for one wouldn't want to be strip-searched by one of those scarey-looking female officers that already damn near give me nightmares-YIKES!

That said, I really don't care for Jamaican food myself {{GASP!}}- it simply doesn't agree with me. Don't be afraid to ask them to custom cook something that is not on the menu, but do keep in mind that you may have to wait a bit while they rustle up the ingredients. A good option is to let them know the day before what you are going to be hungry for the following day (LOL); Jamaican cooks are quite competent. I pretty much live on eggs and cheese while we are there. OH and I am "pretty sure" that a coupla cans of Spam would not be a problem because it is in a can (and pork, though we have also had sausage taken away)- BUT I would ask before I stocked up on it. Jamaican canned meat is NOT the same and takes some getting used to if you can get past the initial gag response, LOL.

IRIE! *IG
    Last edited by Island Girl; 11-24-2011 at 11:05 PM.
    β€œIt is better to travel well than to arrive.” – Buddha

User Info Menu

Lol mad cow ???

Quote Originally Posted by Island Girl View Post
    They will take away ANY AND ALL meat or dairy products. They are death on keeping Mad Cow Disease OUT of Jamaica. Not too sure that will work to keep it out BUT they have these policies in place for more than frivolous reasons, and it is clearly stated on the Jamaican customs web page. Some people think it's OK to cheat, and I am not judging that BUT let me say that deliberately and knowingly ignoring the laws and customs of a country that they are ALLOWING you to visit- before you even step foot in the country- is not exactly starting out with positive energy. Karma can be a *****, and I for one wouldn't want to be strip-searched by one of those scarey-looking female officers that already damn near give me nightmares-YIKES!

That said, I really don't care for Jamaican food myself {{GASP!}}- it simply doesn't agree with me. Don't be afraid to ask them to custom cook something that is not on the menu, but do keep in mind that you may have to wait a bit while they rustle up the ingredients. A good option is to let them know the day before what you are going to be hungry for the following day (LOL); Jamaican cooks are quite competent. I pretty much live on eggs and cheese while we are there. OH and I am "pretty sure" that a coupla cans of Spam would not be a problem because it is in a can (and pork, though we have also had sausage taken away)- BUT I would ask before I stocked up on it. Jamaican canned meat is NOT the same and takes some getting used to if you can get past the initial gag response, LOL.

IRIE! *IG
    Being I look to eat it myself and being cook already whats the mad cow got to do with. spam and bacon crime ??? I payed my fair share of fees to the customs in the past and smuggled others in the past , cooked meat for my use should be a personal item no need to delcare

User Info Menu

And I might think that the speed limit "should be" 100 MPH. That doesn't mean I'm not going to get a ticket if I follow my own ideas rather than the law. Just sayin'...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Island Girl View Post

IRIE! *IG

I have never seen any customs regulations against cheese or other dairy products & have brought them in before, had my bags searched & they were never taken from me. Meat is a different story!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Limo Mon View Post
    Being I look to eat it myself and being cook already whats the mad cow got to do with. spam and bacon crime ??? I payed my fair share of fees to the customs in the past and smuggled others in the past , cooked meat for my use should be a personal item no need to delcare
    If your going to do that please do not mention about it on a public forum. where anyone can find out, There are reasons for the bans on various food products, not least for the protection 0f the hardworking Jamaican who produce the food

User Info Menu

Spam; puke!
    http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/4;10765;128/st/20140626/e//k/ae6e/event.png

User Info Menu

Spam eh?
    Wonder what Monty Python would say about that:

Customer:
    Morning,

Waitress:
    Morning.

Customer:
    What have you got?

Waitress:
    Well, there's egg and bacon,
    egg sausage and bacon
    Egg and spam
    Egg, bacon and spam
    Egg, bacon, sausage and spam
    Spam, bacon, sausage and spam
    Spam, egg, spam, spam, bacon and spam
    Spam, sausage, spam, spam, spam, bacon, spam tomato and spam
    Spam, spam, spam, egg and spam
    Spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, baked beans, spam, spam, spam and spam.

(Choir: Spam! Spam! Spam! Spam! Lovely Spam! Lovely Spam!)

Or Lobster Thermidor aux crevettes with a mornay sauce
    served in a provencale manner with shallots and aubergines
    garnished with truffle pate, brandy and a fried egg on top and spam.

Wife:
    Have you got anything without spam?

Waitress:
    Well, the spam, eggs, sausage and spam
    That's not got much spam in it

Wife:
    I don't want any spam!

Customer:
    Why can't she have eggs, bacon, spam and sausage?

Wife:
    That's got spam in it!

Customer:
    Hasn't got much spam in it as spam, eggs, sausage and spam has it?

(Choir: Spam! Spam! Spam!...)

Wife:
    Could you do me eggs, bacon, spam and sausage without the spam, then?

Waitress:
    Iiiiiiiiiiiich!!

Wife:
    What do you mean 'Iiiiiiiiiich'? I don't like spam!

(Choir: Lovely spam! Wonderful spam!)

Waitress (to choir):
    Shut up!

(Choir: Lovely spam! Wonderful spam!)

Waitress:
    Shut Up! Bloody Vikings!
    You can't have egg, bacon, spam and sausage without the spam.

Wife:
    I don't like spam!

Customer:
    Shush dear, don't have a fuss. I'll have your spam. I love it,
    I'm having spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, baked beans,
    spam, spam, spam, and spam!

(Choir: Spam! Spam! Spam! Spam! Lovely spam! Wonderful spam!)

Waitress:
    Shut Up!! Baked beans are off.

Customer:
    Well, could I have her spam instead of the baked beans then?

Waitress:
    You mean spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, spam,
    spam and spam?

Choir (intervening):
    Spam! Spam! Spam! Spam!
    Lovely spam! Wonderful spam!
    Spam spa-a-a-a-a-am spam spa-a-a-a-a-am spam.
    Lovely spam! Lovely spam! Lovely spam! Lovely spam!
    Spam spam spam spam!
    That rug really tied the room together.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Miguel View Post
    Spam; puke!
    Spam was in demand every staff member wanted some for breakfast, Cook told me to take the shirts I gave him back and tip him in spam. I would rather eat spam for breakfast while in negril then the meats they have.

User Info Menu

The food is one of the reasons I go. Love the local bacon and sausage, especially at places like Charela and Treehouse where the meat comes from their own farms.
    Commercially prepared and packaged meat products should not be a problem to bring in.
    Being from Minnesota, the home of SPAM, I personally love the stuff. Fry it up as is or add some pineapple and it's great for any meal. When we go fishing in the north woods we always bring some for shore lunch in case the fish don't cooperate, it's tasty cooked over an open fire.

Bless...
    Ed