Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Thread: Fishing off the beach

User Info Menu

Fishing off the beach

Hi everyone:
    A member of our group for our trip in June is asking about fishing off the beach in the surf . Is this allowed in Negril and if so does anyone rent fishing poles ?

Thanks

User Info Menu

Re: Fishing off the beach

Quote Originally Posted by Tripp View Post
    Hi everyone:
    A member of our group for our trip in June is asking about fishing off the beach in the surf . Is this allowed in Negril and if so does anyone rent fishing poles ?

Thanks
    Yes, you can fish off the beach. I don't know anyone that rents equipment though.
    Maybe connect with a fisherman/boat while you're here in Negril. The fishing off the beach is very limited and would be much better in deeper waters & up towards the cliffs.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bnewb View Post
    Yes, you can fish off the beach. I don't know anyone that rents equipment though.
    Maybe connect with a fisherman/boat while you're here in Negril. The fishing off the beach is very limited and would be much better in deeper waters & up towards the cliffs.
    I thought the beach would be limited , but wanted to ask to be sure . Thanks for the advice .

User Info Menu

The Interim Negril Marine Park Zone Plan (INMPZ) was a set of guidelines established in 2013 and was to last for 5 years. I'm not sure if the plan was implemented or the interim dates extended. I have called the National Environmental Agency (NEPA) to check this out but have never been able to get through. In fact the phone number listed belongs to some government employee that doesn't even work with NEPA. Any way, this plans has set up a swim zone basically from deep in the cliffs all the way to Green Island and from the shoreline out 300 feet. INMPZ specifically says "no fishing in the swim zone". One of the problems I see is lost hooks and broken heavy grade fishline. If a swimmer was to catch that heavy fishline around their foot, that could be disastrous. Don't get me wrong, I love to fish, but swimmers and fishing don't mix. Lots of boats out there that would love to take you out to fish, and hey, you'd be supporting a local guy trying to eek out a living in this messed up world we living in right now.
    I have a copy of the INMPZ but can't upload it here as it is too big. If someone wants a PDF of it please message me with your email and I will send it.

User Info Menu

I fished for years off the cliffs and twice caught the same type of super ugly dark brown fish with huge teeth and a nasty disposition. Never saw them snorkeling but they looked like a bottom fish. Must not have tasted too good as I asked a guy spearing if he wanted it and he said no.

I was always careful about my gear and while snorkeling, cleaned up as much litter in the water (from other people) as I could. I got tired of JA airport security assuming I had drugs in the tube I kept my rods in so I stopped. Now that I know that NEPA would have had me thrown in the slammer I'm glad I did!

User Info Menu

Tripp,
    Despite any guidelines against fishing off the beach there really isn't any fish to be caught off the beach in Negril. The sand bottom out 100 yards from shore gives way to some bottom grass but no reef. Fishing off the beach would be a total waste of time if catching fish is the objective.
    If you want to catch fish in Jamaica the South Coast and Treasure Beach is the place to go!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by johng View Post
    Tripp,
    Despite any guidelines against fishing off the beach there really isn't any fish to be caught off the beach in Negril. The sand bottom out 100 yards from shore gives way to some bottom grass but no reef. Fishing off the beach would be a total waste of time if catching fish is the objective.
    If you want to catch fish in Jamaica the South Coast and Treasure Beach is the place to go!!
    No catching fish isn’t the objective . It’s more just something relaxing to do while drinking a cold red stripe .

User Info Menu

Right on Tripp! Those scorpion fish I caught (and released) put up a good fight too!

Quote Originally Posted by Tripp View Post
    No catching fish isn’t the objective . It’s more just something relaxing to do while drinking a cold red stripe .