Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Another way to answer...

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Administrator

User Info Menu

Another way to answer...

I have been asked my impressions of how things have been going during the Dream Weekend parties and now with the new curfew hours. My general feeling is that many people in Negril are struggling to the point of resigning themselves to learn to live with Covid. The stress, tension, lack of money and jobs is real and is coming to a boiling point.

In the Observer today, a friend of mine, Ryan Morrison expressed essentially the same ideas, but in a much more economic way. Here is his quote:

"Morrison, a former banker, argued: “If a man has a business place and he places his house on the line by using it for a mortgage, his car is on the line, his investment is on the line, his investment is 100 per cent on the line and the recovery rate of COVID is 95 per cent. So, I have a five per cent chance of dying, but I have a 100 per cent chance of losing my house; I am going to take the chance with the COVID.

Through our small business contribution project, we have been able to help several small business remain open as well as provide thousands of US$ for St. Anthony's Kitchen. There will be more news coming shortly about this project, so please, if you are able, contribute to the cause at https://negrilstore.com

Here is a link to the full article:

https://www.jamaicaobserver.com/ente...ut-west_228491
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!

User Info Menu

Re: Another way to answer...

The whole world has lost sight of the fact that the mortality rate from Covid is much, much, much lower than was anticipated at the start, when we knew very little about the virus. In the US, the mortality rate is less than 1% but you would never know it. More people are dying from heart disease on a daily basis than Covid but, yet here we sit with the majority of people scared to death and leaders who don't seem interested in letting people know what is really happening. I'll be visiting from the states in December and I can't wait to get away from Dr. Fauci for a week.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lax1724 View Post
    The whole world has lost sight of the fact that the mortality rate from Covid is much, much, much lower than was anticipated at the start, when we knew very little about the virus. In the US, the mortality rate is less than 1% but you would never know it. More people are dying from heart disease on a daily basis than Covid but, yet here we sit with the majority of people scared to death and leaders who don't seem interested in letting people know what is really happening. I'll be visiting from the states in December and I can't wait to get away from Dr. Fauci for a week.
    Totally agree with you but am always afraid to speak up. Love you for saying this. Meanwhile 4 year olds are being forced to wear masks but that’s a different conversation. We can’t wait for our trip.

User Info Menu

Lax1724, what mortality rate is acceptable? Let me guess: not vaccinated, high risk and ready to roll the dice? I hear Hedo is running red hot last minute booking specials.

User Info Menu

Some VERY wrong conclusions with that statement.

Doesn't take into effect those that spend weeks in hospital and ICU's recovering from COVID -- taking away hospital beds and resources from those that need the beds and resources for other urgent needs (accidents, other serious illnesses). Some people are dying due to COVID without actually contracting the disease!

Doesn't take into effect long haulers -- who haven't died of the illness, but are still suffering (and unable to work, etc) months after not dying (even though they didn't contribute to the mortality numbers, they haven't recovered).

Doesn't take into account the differences in available ICU bed (etc) in USA vs JA.

The "what is really happening" comment is very inappropriate. What's really happening is that Jamaican hospitals are filling up:

According to Permanent Secretary in the Ministry of Health and Wellness, Dunstan Bryan, the situation has forced them to recall some healthcare workers from vacation, particularly for the western region, which is the hardest hit.

From the Gleaner on Aug 9:

https://jamaica-gleaner.com/article/...ealth-ministry

"Data from the health ministry has revealed that admissions at the University Hospital of the West Indies are at 100 per cent; Cornwall Regional Hospital is at 110 per cent; Spanish Town Hospital is at 160 per cent; May Pen Hospital is at 108 per cent; Mandeville Hospital is at 160 per cent; Sav-la-mar Hospital is 167 per cent and St Ann’s Bay Hospital is at 135 per cent."

User Info Menu

My conclusions are based on how many people have died from Covid and do not include how many people have died because of Covid lockdowns (suicides, overdoses, lack of screening, etc.). Transmission rates are highest indoors yet, we are forcing people in doors. Is a zero mortality rate an achievable goal? Is that what we are shooting for?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

User Info Menu

My conclusions are based on how many people have died from Covid and do not include how many people have died because of Covid lockdowns (suicides, overdoses, lack of screening, etc.). Transmission rates are highest indoors yet, we are forcing people in doors. Is a zero mortality rate an achievable goal? Is that what we are shooting for?
    FWIW, while right wing media frequently mentions how suicides could increase because of the reduction measures, the actual statistics show suicides have generally DECREASED during COVID.

Zero would be great, but the goal is to REDUCE the deaths bu any number greater than zero. The more people don't die, the better.

Vaccines will help the most -- but until those are readily available to all (long way off in Jamaica) we have to stick with ALL the tools that we have -- distancing, masking, hand sanitizing, etc.

User Info Menu

So help me out here. The population of the USA is about 331.5 million and 1% have died because of covid.....That's over 3 million, men, women, children, brothers, sisters, mom's, dad's and babies. Obviously no one close to you have died due to covid or you'd have a better understanding of what is going on in the world. My doctor told me the other day that a 32 year old completely health man has just being put on a life flight to our capital due to covid. He is not expected to recover, but if he does, he will need a heart transplant. That kinda hits home with me because he is married with 3 kids, but you don't know this guy so why would you care right!

Before you start tell us that the moon landing were fake too, please please cancel your stay in Negril and stay at home. Jamaica (and Negril) is struggling but I really don't need you sitting at the bar stool next to me tell me how covid is no big deal. If you want to help, stay at home and buy a support Negril tee shirt

User Info Menu

Well said brownsd54. LAX 1724, if our leaders "don't seem interested in letting people know what is really happening" why don't you enlighten us? BTW, I don't remember ever hearing a report about "heart disease" overrunning a single ER or hospital system let alone killing an otherwise healthy young person in a matter of days. Yet our hospitals here in New Orleans are overrun and it's certainly NOT by heart disease. You ARE right that in the beginning we knew very little about the virus but now we do. We also didn't have vaccines then. Now we have successful vaccines and we know that mask mitigations work. So, what's your point?

User Info Menu

Quick question , if the masks and vaccines and lockdowns are working so well , then why are we still at this point nearly 2 YEARS later? By the way I am vaccinated , pfizer , after a lengthy appt and conversation with my doctor, my choice but my employer was pretty pushy about the vaccines also. It's fine if you still believe the masks are an effective strategy, go ahead and wear it if it makes you feel comfortable , but why be so aggressive about it or to someone that might have a differing view point or just raises a question? It's to the point you can't have a different opinion without being chastised , name called , or censored. Information and knowledge are the best tools and then personal choices can be made more easily. Maybe just speak for yourself instead of projecting your fears on others but more importantly intruding on others beliefs or rights. It's been politicized to the point that millions no longer trust the message from the powers that be all over the world not just in the USA. Or to put it bluntly as many others seem to do , if you want to wear a mask cool do your thing but don't get in my face about it. You do you and I'll do me.