Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Thread: Cell phone

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

User Info Menu

Cell phone

I have had a cell phone for many years in Negril.
    Just landed, went to Digi-Cell and topped off or bought a new card every trip.
    It was just a cell phone, voice and text only.
    Now i want to have a Smart/I phone.
    I remember folks talked about bringing a smart phone, getting the cell service there.
    Or
    Buy a nice Smart phone from Digicell and getting the internet service there.
    Just wondering which way is best.
    Thanks

User Info Menu

Re: Cell phone

I have T Mobile and there's no extra charge for using my phone in Jamaica. The only extra charge is phone calls are $.20 a minute whether international or local. For a month's stay my phone bill is less than $5.00 more than usual.

User Info Menu

Wow, that's great.
    Alas, no T-Mobile for me. (siggh)

User Info Menu

Buy one there or bring one just for J land.

User Info Menu

I just use my regular cell phone from home. When I get to Jamaica I go to DigiCell by a sim card for about 8 bucks and pop it my phone. I also buy a 28 day package with unlimited calling and 16 gig of data for about 40 bucks.

User Info Menu

That sounds good Rctac, Thanks

User Info Menu

Nancy Marie, did you get roaming charges? The last time I went to Negril in 2010, I had TMobile and had to keep my phone on all the time. I was there for 10 days. When I got my phone bill, I had about $200.00 in roaming charges. That was the last time I used my own phone.

User Info Menu

I keep it simple...because I have Verizon I just keep "Travel Pass" on my account all the time. With Travel Pass I can use my phone for voice calls, texting, or non WiFi WWW access just like at home for $10/day .
    A "day" means activated for 24 hours in a row. This works pretty good for most caribbean and mexico travel.

SKL

PS CCLP here we come, 3/2 - 3/10/22

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NegrilIrene View Post
    Nancy Marie, did you get roaming charges? The last time I went to Negril in 2010, I had TMobile and had to keep my phone on all the time. I was there for 10 days. When I got my phone bill, I had about $200.00 in roaming charges. That was the last time I used my own phone.
    I don't think they had the international service back then. I bought a phone in Jamaica many years ago that I used to top up to keep active. I found out about Tmobile offering international service at no additional charge about 5 or 6 years ago. I was scared the first trip I used it since I had heard horror stories about roaming charges but as I said I only had a few dollars more than usual for phone calls. I did ask at Tmobile about it before my trip just to be sure and they assured me I could use all services in Jamaica.

User Info Menu

SIM in an old iPhone does the trick for me. I've entered all my drivers, places to hang and those wanting to give me a 6 in the directory, but otherwise it may as well be a dumb phone. No 9-5 Babylon for me on the Rock!