Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Thread: Post Trip Report Part 1

User Info Menu

Post Trip Report Part 1

April 2nd-April 8th. Seastar Inn.

Airport transportation was handled by Linston. First time meeting him but almost felt like I knew him a bit from Captain Dave's posts here and on other sites. We talked about his Dad and he said he didn't think he would ever make it back to the island. As fate would have it, he would pass away while I was in Negril. I expressed my condolences shortly after he picked me up for my return home and he said he had spoken to his Mom the day before. Obviously hurting but still an absolute gem of a person. The trips to and back from Negril were the most enjoyable trips I've had. Wonderful guy.

Arrived at Seastar on a Saturday so the first night got the amazing buffet and drummers along with Sasanya. Great time!! Cuttin' some rug with other guests and Chris doing his karaoke version of Cocaine with his 3 guest backup singers. I have video!! Great first night.

The next 5 days are basically the same story day in and day out. Get up and have a free breakfast, get ready for the beach, get dropped off at Sun Beach and cruise the beach or settle under an umbrella at Sun Beach. Regular visits to Sunnyside, meeting and chatting with lots of people and just enjoying the vibe. Haven't been that relaxed in over 2 years. I could virtually feel the stress melt off lying on that beach.

Return around 4PM to Seastar for a drink or 2, then clean up for dinner. I ate every meal at Seastar while I was there. Not necessarily my intention but some evenings the rain would come and I didn't feel like venturing out. Besides, Delroy is freaking amazing and everything I ate was fabulous. Special mention for the shrimp pasta Alfredo. Seriously tasty!!

Speaking of Delroy, he and Garrett are the only staff left from the last time I was in Negril. A little sad not to see some familiar faces but Stacy, Annette and Toya quickly became the new familiar faces. Wonderful service and friendly chats with all of them. Lovely people.

Another highlight was a night talking and having a few with a member of the JCF and his wife along with Chris, other locals and other guests. Just a nice fun evening of drinks, food and ganja.

Now for some pics.

User Info Menu

Re: Post Trip Report Part 1

Some more pics.

User Info Menu

Fisher,
    Great start!
    Seastar rocks!

User Info Menu

Great pictures and report. I was at SeaStar last night. Gonna stay there in my long stay next winter. Such a nice place.

User Info Menu

Thanks for the report and pics! So when you went down and back to Sun Beach, was that a daily shuttle that Chris ran or did you cab it down? Did Sun beach charge you to be on their section of the Beach (I've been thinking of doing a Westend stay some trip but would like to get some sand gravity at the beach while there)?

User Info Menu

We've been staying at LTU Gardens on the West End for years. Sun Beach is always our go-to for beach days. Our friend picks us up and goes with
    us. We've never been charged to park in their yard, access the beach bar or use chairs, etc. We love Sun Beach because it still retains that old-school Jamvibe we fell in love with in the '80's when we stayed at the beach. Back then only Cosmo's charged ($1US) for parking and beach access. LTU can fix you up with a driver who will drop you off and come back for you at an agreed time. When you get to my corner of the bar make friends with Alicia. She's a sweet person and a great bartender who has been working there for years to support herself and her son. Your tips would go to a worthy cause. So I guess I vote yes for Sun Beach.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ol'yardie View Post
    We've been staying at LTU Gardens on the West End for years. Sun Beach is always our go-to for beach days. Our friend picks us up and goes with
    us. We've never been charged to park in their yard, access the beach bar or use chairs, etc. We love Sun Beach because it still retains that old-school Jamvibe we fell in love with in the '80's when we stayed at the beach. Back then only Cosmo's charged ($1US) for parking and beach access. LTU can fix you up with a driver who will drop you off and come back for you at an agreed time. When you get to my corner of the bar make friends with Alicia. She's a sweet person and a great bartender who has been working there for years to support herself and her son. Your tips would go to a worthy cause. So I guess I vote yes for Sun Beach.
    Well you had quite the convincing argument, so I changed my hotel from NBCC (I was reading alot of mixed reviews about that place anyways) to LTU gardens in Sept! Plus I see that LTU gardens is close to Rummaz (and LTU has been a fav dinner stop for years), I so I can easily kill two birds with a stone.

User Info Menu

Good choice. The gardens and pool area are lovely and quiet. Walk out the gate and across the road to the cliffs where everybody seems to pull up sooner or later. Rummaz is close enough to walk and along the way you pass Ricks, Ivan's at Catcha, the little grocery store with everything you need, etc. And best of all are the folks around the place.

User Info Menu

Ukranians, Chris does not currently have a van. I'm guessing it just wasn't worth the cost over the last 2 years. First 2 days I caught a route taxi but from then on Chris had Errol Woodcock driving for him. He took me to Flow to get a new SIM card for my travel phone and was my ride to the beach and back for the remainder of my stay. Excellent service. Sun Beach does not charge to use their facilities but I usually bought a couple of Stripes from them (usually more than a couple). I really like the vibe there. Stripes at Sun Beach were $350J. Cheapest was $300J at Sunnyside and Dru's. Woodstock was $700J at the other side of the spectrum. I think Firefly had some good prices as well.