Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Thread: Best spot for stargazing

User Info Menu

Best spot for stargazing

Not so many power outages lately

Any suggestions on a nice dark spot near Negrill with vibe and cold Red Stripe?

User Info Menu

anywhere I have star gazed in Negril is awesome. I like chilling on on a lounge chair on the beach and filling my eyes with the starry night sky. Here in the city we see very few stars so I am always overcome with the beauty of a night sky over Jamaica. I have seen plenty of falling stars there as well.

User Info Menu

Somehow, the stars are always so much brighter and beautiful in Jamaica. I especially like any spot pon da west end. Seems as if it is darker there than on the beach. Late night, just step out and lay down on a lounge chair and stare up into the sky. It is always breath-taking!! I am always in amazement when walking on the west end at night...just how awesome the sky is. Can't wait to stare up and see it soon.

User Info Menu

I used to take a small telescope down to Secret Paradise on the far west end before Westender. It was sold, major redevelopment started and is now all boarded up. I believe Frankie and Dosa are still keeping tabs on the place. Perhaps you could check in with them durring the day and ask about the possibility. Not sure about safety at night unless Dosa was there with you. If you want a safe alternative, check out the Westender. The far end of the field behind the restaurant and cottages would be very dark. I do my star gazing at Blue Cave Castle with binoculars these days. There's a fair amount of light polution, but I can stll make out the Andromeda Galaxy with my 10x50's.
    We're all in this together and none of us is getting out alive.

User Info Menu

The best star gazing experience I ever had was when we stayed at the penthouse at Blue Cave Castle. At the end of our night we would head out to the balcony top area of the penthouse, right over the water on the edge of the cliff and lay back on the lounge chairs and just stare up at the sky. The stars were so bright and there were so many of them it felt like you were floating in space. It was amazing, I will never forget it!

User Info Menu

I have spent lots of time laying on the sea wall at Banana Shout or Catcha staring at the stars. The light polution there is not too bad. That little cove is also the only place that I have seen a penniewallie.

Respect,
    Col. Andy

User Info Menu

I always see shooting stars too!! Watching the stars from the beach in Negril is a magical experience.
    Anywhere on the cliffs should have a nice view, my friend's house in the hills is my personal fave.
    Choochy420

User Info Menu

Out where I live the sky bursts with stars...away from lights, that's the key! My favorite is always new moon time. The first week I was on island there was no moon, and it looked like you can just touch them...and a bit of meteor action too as I saw many shooting stars.

My favorite thing to see...you gotta stay up a bit late....the Southern Cross.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rastagirl777 View Post
    Out where I live the sky bursts with stars...away from lights, that's the key! My favorite is always new moon time. The first week I was on island there was no moon, and it looked like you can just touch them...and a bit of meteor action too as I saw many shooting stars.

My favorite thing to see...you gotta stay up a bit late....the Southern Cross.
    New moon is best
    Rasta Girl How late for the Southern Cross?

User Info Menu

me no sen...around 4:00am! But worth the wait especially if you live north like I do and never see it. It doesn't come up all that far from the horizon before it sets again about an hour later. In all these years, its always a thrill for me.