Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Making local phone calls

User Info Menu

Making local phone calls

What is the least expensive way to make local Jamaican phone calls while visiting Negril?

User Info Menu

Re: Making local phone calls

Ratty2141,

Most everyone I communicate with in Negril has the APP WhatsApp and that is how I call or text them when in Negril.
    I have Verizon Wireless and they offer a weekly and monthly unlimited INTERNATIONAL Plan.
    The monthly plan is $100 US, I don't know the cost for the weekly plan.
    My employer pays for the monthly plan on every trip, so that I'm always available no matter what.

Before cell phones we used the Coconut Telegraph and from my recent experience it still works just fine!!!

Enjoy,

VVHT

User Info Menu

Agree that WhatsApp is widely used. Depends on your home carrier. T-Mobile has a great international plan.
    Sing unto God, sing praises to his name: extol him that rideth upon the heavens by his name JAH, and rejoice before him. KJV Psalm 68:4

User Info Menu

Can that app be used with a WiFi connection? I plan on bringing a old iphone, but it won’t have any data or plan attached.
    Saying that, how difficult is it to make my unlocked iphone work for regular calls? Can someone explain in simpleton terms?
    [url=https://www.TickerFactory.com/]

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sandman66 View Post
    Can that app be used with a WiFi connection? I plan on bringing a old iphone, but it won’t have any data or plan attached.
    Saying that, how difficult is it to make my unlocked iphone work for regular calls? Can someone explain in simpleton terms?
    If your phone connects to WiFi and you have a working WhatsApp installed, you are good to go.

I know people who don't even make regular phone calls anymore - They only use WhatsApp! No phone plan data necessary - just a WiFi connect!
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ratty2141 View Post
    What is the least expensive way to make local Jamaican phone calls while visiting Negril?
    The reason everyone uses WhatsApp is that it is FREE! That's about as least expensive there is! And it calls phones from all over the world for the same cost - FREE!
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!

User Info Menu

What's great is that if you ask, most bars will give you their public wifi password, so you can use whatsapp if you're away from your hotel (I got on wifi at the seastar, miyard, sun beach and natural mystic, for example)

User Info Menu

I have used the Whatsapp app in past trips, but only for messages.
    How do you make calls with it? I will have an unlocked iphone, but no data plan.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sandman66 View Post
    I have used the Whatsapp app in past trips, but only for messages.
    How do you make calls with it? I will have an unlocked iphone, but no data plan.
    If you start a Whatsapp chat session (by selecting someone to chat with), you'll see a lil phone icon up top of your screen. Tap that and it'll then start a call to that person

User Info Menu

Easy peasy!!