Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Lesson learned, make sure to lock those doors...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by CarrieBean View Post
    MissNegril, the true story about Mirage was stated on this board. Whatever you were told was, I'm sure, an attempt to try to cover her own butt. And there is a good reason she is the "old" manager. I hadn't brought up the property name again because we have previously met the new manager and I'm sure the place is being run much better now. Sorry, but your character judgment is off.
    Actually if you want to get into it, I spoke to another guest that was there when it happened as well as another employee and made my judgment based on the factual information I was told. Which was much more of a story that you enlightened us with here on this board. Funny how people will leave things out when they have used poor judgment on their vacations.

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by suzengrace View Post
    ...But also think ignorance is not bliss...People are grown adults and can make their own decisions and yes ,of course common sense traveling wherever is necessary....I know that some people will make false accusation s for their own benefit-but I feel thats the minority..I think its insulting and disgusting to downplay, marginalize, or blame the victim for any wrong-doings that have happen to them..
    There is certainly more positive reports posted on here then negative- that's a good thing and would show that that's "the norm"..But also so important to know and report an=on anything negative that's happen (and yes, it happens allover the world).I appreciate a tourist website that
    tells the "good, the bad and the ugly" as opposed to one that only sugar-coats everything..and please people-be a little considerate to the victims and stop stating how one needs to behave like their at home,etc, etc(therefore-almost asking for it-no one asks to be a victim-or they lack any common sense)...
    Suzen,

Ignorance is not bliss. And to that end, since the first Negril.com webpages became active in 1995 and especially since I came back to redirect the site in late 2009, Negril.com has provided people with the best information to make their vacation time in Jamaica as great as possible. This includes the good, the bad and the ugly as long as it is the truth. Rumor and speculation does not provide useful information to anyone, but the truth does. And that may include truth that the poster may not always find agreeable.

In the last month or so, there have been two threads regarding thefts. This one seems to be genuine, honest and without speculation about who is conspiring regarding the theft. The first one was less than honest, made with a blackmail agenda and pointed fingers at other innocent people. Maybe the frequency of these less than genuine stories is higher than you think, making it less of a minority situation. Visitors to Jamaica do have the right to know that not all the stories that they hear should be taken as gospel. They are adults and deserve to know the truth, the whole truth. Which can include the fact that some people do set themselves up to become a target.

While no one stands on their veranda and shouts "please steal my stuff", visitors to Jamaica do have the right to know that some behavior does make you more of a target to crime. Essentially the behavior does send the message to those who want to do you wrong that you are the optimum target. And that behavior often does come from the fact that some behave different here than they do at home. It is very good advice that if you dont invite strangers back to your home, then dont invite them into your room. If you dont normally hire a prostitute, then dont do it in Negril - whether the prostitute is called "your friend" or not. This is common sense advice, but not everyone uses common sense. This is one of those truths that not everyone finds pleasant to find out, but all visitors to the island deserve to be informed about this situation.

I am glad that you appreciate Negril.com since it provides the truth - good, bad and ugly, but it is also an unfortunate truth that some people do behave in ways that makes them a target for those wanting to do wrong. And our readers deserve to know the truth.
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!

User Info Menu

i can't believe the hotel wasn't proactive after the first breakin...where was the security guard at the time of the breakin? i would fire hmm ...no use him sitting in the lobby while thieves roam the place

User Info Menu

I have been reading many of the responses to my story and would like to make a few comments. For one, I really made sure I wrote the story for the message board in a way that I believed would allow it to get posted. I attempted to write a more detailed version with a little more direct blame and some other negative experiences we had but it was cut from Expedia so I figured I would write something that clearly explained the situation and what I personally felt while visiting Negril this year as compared to other years.

We had no “invited guests” to our room but feeling very comfortable in Negril having traveled there so many times, and it being my cousin’s first trip we visited most of the hot spots. Honestly we were probably a little crazy the first few nights but probably no more than most would be getting a free pass from the ladies at home so we could go on a guy’s vacation and blow off a little steam. Did we get noticed? Did someone with bad intent figure we would be easy targets, probably passed out with a few to many Red Stripes asleep at night? Maybe that was the case for the room invasion but it still doesn’t explain the ”stay on guard” feeling experienced prior to this situation right up until we left. That was different from the Negril I know.

I don’t necessarily blame the hotel. Yes, the door locks on our room were ridiculously weak. Yes, the staff didn’t seem to be that alarmed by what happened. And…No, they didn’t offer to make us happy by relocation or even a reduction on the room rate…I know this hotel well, both the condo and the rental sides and the decision to stay there was mine. I made a mistake at least this time.

In this day and age we require certain things in life like fancy smart phones, computers and the like even while on vacation. It would be great if we could leave it all at home but that isn’t the case for many of us. These items are expensive and desirable to the locals along with the money and possibly the credit cards we lock in the safes or hide around the room. And, don’t forget the passports! There is a strong incentive for the bad guys to attempt to get this stuff. A vacation I save for all year should be relaxing and hopefully without incident. In the future I will stay ONLY where I believe the security of the room and the guards to be sufficient, not just a guy asleep in a chair sometimes on the beach and other times who knows where... I will block the doors securely or use a device to eliminate unknowing entry. I will be more aware of my surroundings. What else can I do?

My guess is if hotel owners find the tourists frequenting the places that can provide this type of protected environment they will all try to improve.

-Scott

User Info Menu

Scott, thank you for posting and your followup post.

Rob, thank you for hosting and monitoring Negril.com. This board has provided valuable information to me since I stumbled across it in 1995 or 1996. It was this board that convinced me to leave the gates of the All Inclusives and explore Jamaica!

Just wanted to throw in my two cents and remind all readers that Tourists are targets almost everywhere we travel. Crime is not limited to Jamaica.

Great advice from the boardies on the door stops!!

Enjoy,

VVHT

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jamerican71 View Post
    He said Negril Beach Resort which is the same property but different management. I can't speak for the hotel section but all the condos do have a patio stick.
    I have stayed at Mariner's (the hotel section) twice and both times they did have the patio stick supplied in the rooms.

User Info Menu

What's a Pacsafe?
    improvise & overcome

User Info Menu

Ola y'all. I stayed at Mariners/Negril Beach Club four times this year - both hotel rooms and condos and three time there were security sticks. On the occasion there wasn't I asked for one and had it in my hand inside an hour. On a couple of occasions employees even reminded me to lock everything up tight and use the stick.
    However - the way the theives get in depends more on the wiggle room between the abutting edges of the inner and outer patio doors when they are closed. If there is enough room between them an ordiairy metal hanger - straightened will fit through that space and can be easily used to move the patio slider stick out of the way. I'm thinking those motion alarms someone else mentioned would be a smart addition.

Having said all this. NOTHING is going to stop mi visits to Negril. Crime is everywhere the criminals are and I defy anyone to find a large group of people that doesn't include some shady element. The majority of people are terrific and I feel to home there. I've never felt better in mi life than when I am walkin' the bones of lady Jamaica.
    improvise & overcome

User Info Menu

You could have not said it better. Totally agree.

User Info Menu

My response was directed to Rob sorry! Rob,your post could not have said it better ,I totally agree.