Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mid August Report

User Info Menu

Mid August Report

Or at least as much of it as I can remember
    Arrived at Idle Beach on the 9th. We hadn't been back in a couple years, but nothing has changed. Same great place and same great staff... yes, including Needle. We had a few meals here, including our last supper. All were very good. weather the last day was more rain than not, but provided for a beautiful sunset.
    Most of our 12 days were just sand gravity, cold beer and eating! Lunch at Lily's, Rasta Aid, Fire Fly ($2 red stipe special 12-2), Norman's patties several times, and of course Best in the West, among others were all memorable and very good. My wife's birthday dinner at The Lodge in Tensing Pen was amazing, but the heat was a real buzz kill. The next night we treated ourselves to dinner in Air Conditioning at Mathew's in Boardwalk Shopping center. Food was fantastic! Coconut Snapper at Charela is always a must. The only disappointing meal, hate to say, was Quality Sea Food. To be honest, I don't think they were expecting anyone, and weren't prepared.
    Sunnyside still has the coldest beer on the beach, and only $3.50 us. Tony's is just as cold, but they're up to $5. Disappointing when the beer at Idle were only $4, delivered to my lounge chair.
    We travel to Negril almost every August. This year seemed a little busier than most years, except for this past weekend when things got really slow.
    Hit the new Hilo almost every other day. First day dropped a 6 pack on the sidewalk. I thought the glass was half full, as 3 bottles remained, but when I tried to walk away I realized I had a really bad slash on my toe. Ya know how it goes... cut my foot on a pop top and had to limp back home. Needless to say that sucked for a few days, but beats visiting the new Medical Center.
    The disposable THC vape pen I bought at Chances was $95. Was supposed to be 3.5 grams, but must've been half a gram of garbage instead. A real rip off. The spot in Boardwalk shopping center on the 2nd floor (above Mathew's) was great. Sam was a great guy. He has 1 gram vape cartridges at $35, very reasonable, and quality gummies and bud. I use THC for pain so Sam introduced me to a topical oil that worked like nothing I've tried before. Unfortunately I didn't want to risk bringing it home. Especially when they had a dog at the plane door as you exited the plane in JFK.
    As always met some great people on this trip. Rob, Monty & Melo.... it was a pleasure meeting and spending a little time together. I look forward to doing it again next reach.

Last edited by JohnNYC; 08-21-2023 at 07:40 PM.

User Info Menu

Re: Mid August Report

JohnNYC,

Great Great Stuff!!! Thank you for posting the good and the bad.

August is slow season for most, Quality Sea food had an off night, it happens.
    Generally, when I'm on the rock in the summer, I ask what they have before ordering

Sorry about the injury, God knows I have had a few over the years!! For me it is always the feet!!!! WTF!!

Glad you got to try Mathews at Boardwalk Village shopping center. Definitely on my list for next reach.
    The new Hi Lo at Boardwalk is very convenient!

When I was down this July, it was HOT and HUMID. Definitely tough weather for me at my advanced age!
    But was able to have a good time.

Your sunset photos are awesome! Thanks for posting.

Enjoy,

VVHT aka Happy soon come!

User Info Menu

Great report and beautiful pics!! Thanks so much for sharing them. Idle Awhile never disappoints & I’m counting down the days until our November stay there.

User Info Menu

Sounds like it was a fun trip! Thanks for sharing!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by VVHT View Post
    JohnNYC,

Great Great Stuff!!! Thank you for posting the good and the bad….
    TY trip report ..

User Info Menu

John,

Great to meet you and Dora at Red Dragon last Monday. We are just getting back as well, and I am trying to find time to post a trip report with pics, but who knows, life tends to kick you in the ass when you return to the states and I have been knee-deep in life (AKA WORK!!!) since we got back late Sunday night.

The only comment I will make for now is that we have always contacted Quality before dining there and the food has always been fantastic, but I can understand if you showed up there unannounced you would be disappointed in the experience, as you are at the mercy of what he has on hand.

More to come but I will start my own thread so as not to hi-jack yours. All the best!!!

M&M

User Info Menu

I hear rave reviews for Quality, so I know it was a fluke. Had I called in advance I'm sure it would've been a much better experience.
    That being said, it wasn't the worst experience either and would NOT prevent me from eating there again. But now I know a quick call can make a difference.

User Info Menu

Your Sunset pictures are beautiful.
    I love the convenience of the Hilo and other shops at Boardwalk village.

User Info Menu

Hi John. So the vape from the boardwalk shop was legit? professionally packaged and all? Would like to try their gummies too.
    Of course, I'll still have to pick up some of Connie's famous gummies.

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MikeyNYC View Post
    Hi John. So the vape from the boardwalk shop was legit? professionally packaged and all? Would like to try their gummies too.
    Of course, I'll still have to pick up some of Connie's famous gummies.
    I like Connie's Rice Crispy treats.....
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!