Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Beer prices and Cost of Living

User Info Menu

Beer prices and Cost of Living

Thanks for the report (always makes the next upcoming trip seem closer)! As for the beer costs at Sunnyside and Tony's, I think both places take jamaican 100s on par with the dollar still (correct me if I'm wrong Rob)? So that will get you 3 beers for the cost of 2 with the exchange rate...
    Go Bills!

Administrator

User Info Menu

Re: Mid August Report

Quote Originally Posted by ukran1ans View Post
    Thanks for the report (always makes the next upcoming trip seem closer)! As for the beer costs at Sunnyside and Tony's, I think both places take jamaican 100s on par with the dollar still (correct me if I'm wrong Rob)? So that will get you 3 beers for the cost of 2 with the exchange rate...
    Tony's Hut no longer has that practice, last time there I paid J$750 for a Red Stripe. Which will probably be the last time I am there....
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    Tony's Hut no longer has that practice, last time there I paid J$750 for a Red Stripe. Which will probably be the last time I am there....
    Ouch, yeah that's pretty steep...
    Go Bills!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    Rob
    Do you think J$750 will be trending to the rest of Negril in the future?

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by CG1404 View Post
    Rob
    Do you think J$750 will be trending to the rest of Negril in the future?
    The prices JohnNYC quoted is his trip report are dead on accurate. Tony's Hut is using the inter-bank rate of 150j to 1us$. That is a little extreme considering that same beer can be purchased at Red Dragon for j$250. (Probably soon to be $300).

The average beach price is around us$5, cliff price j$400, most everywhere else at j$350.

Tony's Hut is the only place I frequent that is using that exchange rate. Well, used to frequent anyways. Obviously Tony doesn't want local business anymore. The Cambios exchange at j$145 to us$1.

User Info Menu

My question to you all is how does the average Jamaican man and women living in Negril survive the current cost of living that seems to be the norm. 5 USD for a Red Stripe??? I understand that bar and restaurant owners need to make a living but from the sound of things some of these local businesses will self destruct....

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by johng View Post
    My question to you all is how does the average Jamaican man and women living in Negril survive the current cost of living that seems to be the norm. 5 USD for a Red Stripe??? I understand that bar and restaurant owners need to make a living but from the sound of things some of these local businesses will self destruct....
    Johng,

I don't understand your question. Who said us$5 is the normal price for a Red Stripe?

What I said was "The average beach price is around us$5, cliff price j$400, most everywhere else at j$350."

The average Jamaican does not frequent tourist locations such as beach or cliff bars. We tend to go everywhere else, which is j$350, not us$5 for a Red Stripe.

Also, surviving here is not done on Red Stripe. Better measures of the cost of living are made with staple items such as milk, eggs, butter, bread, flour, etc. Milk is now about $500 a litre, up about $200 pre-pandemic. Eggs are $1000 for 30, up about $300. Bread is about the same price, butter about double. Flour, salt and sugar slightly higher.

Meat is about double so one has to be creative when feeding a family.

It is not easy. Which may account for some of the higher beer prices.

Administrator

User Info Menu

Beer prices and Cost of Living

Since JohnNYC's trip report got hijacked, those posts are moved here to continue without interruption to John's post.

User Info Menu

Re: Beer prices and Cost of Living

Hmmm, I think Rob may have been hijacked. I can't imagine him using the following words
    "Also, surviving here is not done on Red Stripe."

User Info Menu

Re: Beer prices and Cost of Living

A stripe as mentioned here is 5$ many places but of course with a tax and service charge that some places charge, the beer is 6$ and oh...put a tip on top..yikes!