Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Thread: Average driver/taxi rates

User Info Menu

Average driver/taxi rates

Hi, when we travel to Negril it's usually just 2 of us. This year our friends will be joining us (family of 3). We'd like to go to dinner and I'm wondering what the average rate is for a driver/taxi around town for a group of our size. No need to wait for us, we'd just call or what's app when we are ready to be picked up. Do they charge by distance and by person?

I was quoted the below from a driver.

Cost for 5ppl:
    Treehouse to Kuyaba: US$30 one-way total (US$60 roundtrip total).
    Treehouse to LTU : US$50 one-way total (US$100 roundtrip total).

User Info Menu

Re: Average driver/taxi rates

Honestly it's going to vary from driver to driver when it comes to private taxis which I assume you want to do rather than route taxis. That's way too high from Kuyaba to Treehouse, it's like a one to two minute ride. Just walk out on the street and negotiate. To LTU I'd figure ten dollars a person roundtrip so $50 for five. If you want someone who won't rip you off then call Vernon Francis from Vern's Jamaica Taxi and tours. (876)862-2677

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ChiJa View Post
    Hi, when we travel to Negril it's usually just 2 of us. This year our friends will be joining us (family of 3). We'd like to go to dinner and I'm wondering what the average rate is for a driver/taxi around town for a group of our size. No need to wait for us, we'd just call or what's app when we are ready to be picked up. Do they charge by distance and by person?

I was quoted the below from a driver.

Cost for 5ppl:
    Treehouse to Kuyaba: US$30 one-way total (US$60 roundtrip total).
    Treehouse to LTU : US$50 one-way total (US$100 roundtrip total).
    Please contact some of the drivers in our transportation section. Let them know Rob from Negril.com asked them to arrange regular deals for your group to get around town. Everyone uses WhatsApp here for calls so have that installed and call them for an introduction and explaining your situation. And finding a wifi hotspot (I helped set up most of the free ones in town) is easy so that you can be in contact with them while here when you want to move about town.

Even most businesses with password protected wifi will let you use their wifi, or even let you use their phone to call the driver. Local calls are free on virtually all phone plans.

If a driver knows they will be getting consistent business from you, your price per ride will be reduced substantially.

We vet all our drivers and know each one of them personally. Have fun and hope to meet you while you are here.

(And Corey is correct, those prices are way high...)

I don't know Vern personally, but make sure ANY driver you take has a RED LICENSE PLATE. They are legal and insured to carry paying passengers. Corey knows that....
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!

User Info Menu

We used George. Very nice guy. Reliable, clean van with AC, and a safe driver. He uses what's app 876 842 2500