Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Thread: Come back

User Info Menu

Come back

Hey all. It’s been a very long time since I have posted or been back to Negril. My wife Denise and I were regulars on the cliffs at night and the beach during the day. I’ve sat in, playing the drums at drifters on the Sunday show a few times as well. We stopped going bc of the pandemic and were planning on returning last spring, but sadly my bride and best friend of 42 years died after a short and awful battle with cancer.
    I have been struggling with the thoughts of going back to our place wo her, but a recent overnight in Kingston has pushed me over the top. I am an airline pilot and the short overnight had me stay in Kingston. Just hearing the voices of the people and the music in the air and a brief taste of calallo for breakfast started a day that ended with me flying Luciano (a reggae artist if ya don’t know him) back to JFK. That combined with the Jamaican flight attendants, the Jamaican passengers and the love they gave me hearing about my story blew me away. Top it off with a little 6 year old boy hugging me on the way out. I melted.
    Anyway - I am planning on coming back to Negril soon, but I am afraid of what I will find post covid. I used to stay at what was the catcha gardens, now the LTU gardens. Hoping both the pub and the rooms are still there. During the day, we would hang at sun beach, grab chicken from Hollywood at the tree house, get a cold one on the walk up the beach in the morning at Arthur’s, maybe another at the boat house. Not sure if these places exit anymore. Saw that 3 dives still exists as does the jerk chicken hut on the cliffs. Used to shop at the wise choice too. The grocery store I heard moved to the beach from down at the circle.
    I’d really appreciate anything and everything y’all could tell me about how things are down there. Like I said - Dee and I would be down there 2 to 3 times/year for many years. I’ll be coming alone as I have to experience this place alone for this first time. Not sure I can even bring someone here with me, but also don’t think I can stay away. Thanks in advance folks.

User Info Menu

Re: Come back

evorbach,

Great post!

I have been back to Negril in April 2022 (3 weeks), Sept 2022 (1 week), Dec 2022 (1 week), Feb 2023 (1 week), Apr 2023 (1 week) and July 2023 (1 week) and heading back again end of Oct 2023 (1 week).

Stayed at Coco La Palm, White Sands and mostly at Seastar Inn (my personal paradise).

April and September 2022, while COVID was still around, things were very quiet in Negril on the Beach and West End, but I still had a GREAT TIME (thanks Rob)!

Things started to recover quickly in Feb 2023 and onward.

LTU Pub is still the best view and chicken lola and pumpkin soup!
    Alfred's has great burgers, fish and chips and very cold beer.
    Wise Choice is still open and across the West End Lane is Cone, cup & dish (?), nice spot to pickup stuff.
    My beach walks usually start at Fire Fly and end at Tony's Hut or Flag City or CLP or whatever....
    Red Dragon up in Red Ground still has the best Jerk pork (except on Sundays), Collette's Bar is another great spot in Red Ground.

Some places have closed and some new ones have opened.
    The Vibe in Negril hasn't changed!

I love spending an afternoon at Canoe enjoying the view, food and drink.
    A few late nights at Mi Yard are always a good time.
    Coca La Palm is one of my favorite breakfast spots. Decent Happy Hour as well.

Book, Pack & GO!

Enjoy,

VVHT aka Happy
    Last edited by VVHT; 09-02-2023 at 05:48 PM.

User Info Menu

Evorbach... We've been going down since 1983. Our last visit was August, 2022. Like you we were going down twice a year. But that year Hurricane Ida beat us up in New Orleans while we were poolside at LTU Gardens. After 12 extra days there (poor us) waiting for New Orleans airport to reopen we finally got home to begin repairs at home. I'm happy to say LTU is alive and well. The new owners, Luca and CarrieAnn, have made major improvements to the Pub. They raised the thatch over the bar then covered the whole place with a new zinc roof, also covered in thatch. Food is still excellent and all the regulars are still around. Across the street is now LTU Gardens and it's the same place you remember. After two long years I am craving a return to my happy place. Maybe next spring.

User Info Menu

evorbach,
    First, my condolences on your loss. It's never easy. Negril has changed but most of the places you mentioned still exist. What's really changed is that almost all places on the beach and ocean side in the west end have increased prices pretty drastically. I personally don't find it worse than any major beach area in the US but many were used to low pricing back in the day. It's not the budget spot it once was but all in all it still is not too bad and if you're willing to venture off a bit to downtown, Red Ground, White House, New Hope, etc...then there are still fun local spots that are cheap. Treehouse still has the chicken station on the beach. The singing chef Alan moved to another restaurant and I'm not positive if that is the Hollywood you are referring to but regardless it's still there. They do charge a small entry fee to the property now if you are not staying at the hotel but that comes with the use of their chairs and umbrella. 3 Dives is still there but I recommend that you give Kool Vybz Jerk a try. It's also in the west end and it's a family member of 3 Dives owners who started it. I find the service to be faster there and the food to be better. Most people I know tend to agree with that these days. 3 Dives has that yard with the view but the waits there have been well over an hour the last few times I've gone. There are several grocery store options now. The Hi Lo that was back in the strip mall in the first part of the west end has moved to the beach. The Value Master downtown at the roundabout is still there as well as two Chinese owned grocery stores right near it. Then right around the corner near Corner Bar is Quality Traders (Green Store) that has a decent selection. Arthurs and Boat Bar are both still open. Boat Bar has live daytime reggae music on some days and is a popular stop on the beach. I recommend taking a taxi out to Shelly's Bar one evening. It's a little out of town in Good Hope about 3 miles from the beach but it's cheap, she takes very good care of tourists, and there is a nice crowd of locals that hang there as she often has music, food, and events there. Another locally owned spot I've been frequenting is 87 Apple's Lounge on Breadnut Lane in the west end. Some nights she has live reggae shows there and it's a similar atmosphere to Shellys. I actually will be hosting our 4th annual Real Jamaica Islandwide Vybz Party there on Friday January 26th at 8PM. No cover and live reggae. If you're in town feel free to swing through. I'll buy ya a cold Red Stripe.

User Info Menu

Jamaica can also be incredibly healing.
    Deepest condolences, Evorbach.
    L&R

User Info Menu

Deepest condolences Evorbach. I Hope returning to Negril helps heal your soul.

Bless

User Info Menu

LTU is even a better place to stay and hang out at. Food is outstanding ! Vibe is even better.