Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Thread: Electric bicycles.

User Info Menu

Electric bicycles.

Curious, is there a rental place for electric bikes on da beach road? If so, have you rented one? Your thoughts? Pros cons? Tanks mon'

User Info Menu

Re: Electric bicycles.

With the high costs of electricity in Jamaica, I have been curious about that feasibility along with electric cars.

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fargoman View Post
    With the high costs of electricity in Jamaica, I have been curious about that feasibility along with electric cars.
    I know a couple electric bike rentals started pre covid, but haven't heard anything after covid. But electric bikes should be around.

There are two charging stations in the new HiLo parking lot. The only electric cars I have seen are the hybrid types that recharge each time the brakes are applied. Straight electrical vehicles would be expensive and difficult to find charging stations.
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    I know a couple electric bike rentals started pre covid, but haven't heard anything after covid. But electric bikes should be around.

There are two charging stations in the new HiLo parking lot. The only electric cars I have seen are the hybrid types that recharge each time the brakes are applied. Straight electrical vehicles would be expensive and difficult to find charging stations.
    Having said that, electric vehicles would be perfect for an island nation like Jamaica. You could almost circumnavigate the island on just one charge. I recently rented a Tesla in Vancouver, went 700kms on one charge and the charging station bill was $16 CND. A google check found 24 charging stations (but are they really there???) 8 of which are in Kingston. The station at Boardwalk isn't on the map so I believe thing are developing as we speak. Not sure if we'll see vast amounts of electric vehicles, at least not in the near future but soon come.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by brownsd54 View Post
    Having said that, electric vehicles would be perfect for an island nation like Jamaica. You could almost circumnavigate the island on just one charge. I recently rented a Tesla in Vancouver, went 700kms on one charge and the charging station bill was $16 CND. A google check found 24 charging stations (but are they really there???) 8 of which are in Kingston. The station at Boardwalk isn't on the map so I believe thing are developing as we speak. Not sure if we'll see vast amounts of electric vehicles, at least not in the near future but soon come.
    But >90% of Jamaica's electricity is generated using fossil fuels...

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Odinson View Post
    But >90% of Jamaica's electricity is generated using fossil fuels...
    That's why everyone I know with an electric vehicle owns a hybrid. No one has a strictly EV.....
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!

User Info Menu

Yes! Natural gas, which is a little less harmful to the environment, and electricity will always be generated in Jamaica, an electric vehicle on the road is one less gas guzzling polluter.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by brownsd54 View Post
    Yes! Natural gas, which is a little less harmful to the environment, and electricity will always be generated in Jamaica, an electric vehicle on the road is one less gas guzzling polluter.
    Truth, natural gas supplies 59% of the electricity, petroleum around 28%. https://www.mset.gov.jm/wp-content/u...stics-2021.pdf

I'm just not a fan of the huge weight difference in electric cars - more tire and road destruction as well as increased destructive power in crashes. Not to mention the cost to replace a failed battery and the human and earth impacts from current mining practices that are needed to make the batteries.

Starting to get excited about better battery technology - eg, carbon nanotubes can now be structural. Make the car's horizontal surfaces (at least) out of them - they can then absorb and store solar electricity. Quite a ways off but I'm hopeful.