Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Thread: Hurricane Gilbert was 35 years ago today...

Administrator

User Info Menu

Hurricane Gilbert was 35 years ago today...

And 5 years ago I wrote about what it was like to survive Gilbert. Here is the link to the story that is in the Flashback section of the Negril Message Board:

https://negril.com/forum/showthread....-Gilbert-Story
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!

User Info Menu

Re: Hurricane Gilbert was 35 years ago today...

Hard to believe it's been that long. Back then I was just about ready to buy tickets when Gilbert came to my attention. So I waited and the rest is history. A year later we made that trip and went looking for our friends. The story I'll never forget came from Sister Love (Adassa), who had a shop
    in the Rasta Village by the bridge. She said she and her daughter had wrapped themselves into a mattress cinched tightly with a rope around her center pole and held on for dear life. When I first met her on the bridge in 1983, her hair was black. When I saw her again a year after the storm her hair was snow white. But they survived.

In a tragic postscript some years later, a car backed over her in the bank parking lot, killing her. I guess you never know when it's your time.

On a happier note (1983) I had my first Jamaican home cooking at Sister Love's, prepared by a lady named Dorothy P. You can probably guess...
    brown stewed chicken, rice and peas, callaloo and roasted breadfruit. So began a 40-year (and counting) love affair with Negril.

User Info Menu

Rob,

What an adventure!!!
    Great story!!

User Info Menu

Wow. That time has flew by! Great story!

User Info Menu

Absolutely love your description of the events Rob. Read that shortly after I thankfully stumbled across this wonderful site. Completely captivated by it.

User Info Menu

Thanks, Rob!
    I read it 5 years ago but saved it this time.
    Nice story.