Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: HUGE NEWS! How about sidewalks on the West End?

User Info Menu

Re: HUGE NEWS! How about sidewalks on the West End?

Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    I am talking with Kingston as to the WTF they would upgrade an area that has so little traffic that a sidewalk isn't necessary.

When I know, I will let everyone know. But knowing Jamaica, once a project starts, stopping it is stupid. It may never be able to start again.

So for the far West End, my lucky friends, enjoy it when it is done!
    Is it possible Rob, that they are doing that area because they can. Development or re-development of that portion of the road means they, (National Works Agency) can widen the road and build sidewalks. Re-development of the road from Church corner to the Lighthouse mean the Government would have to appropriate the front yards of many many houses and businesses in that area. Fences and walls would have to be removed and in some cases whole buildings would have to be moved or removed. A monumental if not impossible task. At least this way NWA at least looks like they're doing something for Negril.

How about doing something about the insane driving on Cliff Road. That would be a good start.

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by brownsd54 View Post
    Is it possible Rob, that they are doing that area because they can. Development or re-development of that portion of the road means they, (National Works Agency) can widen the road and build sidewalks. Re-development of the road from Church corner to the Lighthouse mean the Government would have to appropriate the front yards of many many houses and businesses in that area. Fences and walls would have to be removed and in some cases whole buildings would have to be moved or removed. A monumental if not impossible task. At least this way NWA at least looks like they're doing something for Negril.

How about doing something about the insane driving on Cliff Road. That would be a good start.
    That monumental if not impossible task had already been accomplished. About a 15 years ago a survey of all the owners of the properties that would be effected was done with 98% agreeing to donate the land necessary. The 2% remainder would be compensated by eminent domain.

Plans were drawn up, land surveys had started but it seemed to have died on the vine, possibly lost during the change of governments.

We are working with those involved back then to try and locate the progress that had been made, but since then new owners have developed some areas of the West End so new permissions will need to be sought.
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!

User Info Menu

Roy Stout - cat from Lexington KY was hit & killed by a car while walking on west end, not far from the Castle over 10 years ago - before I moved on the mountain. I didn't know the cat too well, but we had a mutual close friend in Gatewood Galbraith, former governor candidate. I've walked that road so ****ed up on rum & stripes before that it's a thousand wonders I wasn't the roy strout of the day. Not sure if there's ever been any other tourists killed while walking on that road, but his death left an impression on me (I tried to say "impacted" but that sounded even worse - I'm going to hell!)