Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Authentic jerk pork

User Info Menu

Authentic jerk pork

I've been told the best place to go is Red Dragon. Thoughts?

User Info Menu

Re: Authentic jerk pork

I will second that but Dean the pork vendor on beach is great too. He carrys a metal box and has regular and spicy for 10$ for small and 20$ for large.

User Info Menu

Neil’s and Pickles, just after the All Age School, had Landy’’s jerk pork on Tuesday’s and Thursdays in the afternoon. It’s more a stew pork style with delicious “gravy”. Neil’s and Pickles isn’t open just yet for this season, but I expect it will be soon. Very reasonable prices on alcohol as well. With a gorgeous view from the back deck of the beach and the Sea.
    Last edited by Nurse Marcia; 10-01-2023 at 11:09 AM. Reason: grammar and punctuation

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ratty2141 View Post
    I've been told the best place to go is Red Dragon. Thoughts?
    Red Dragon is very popular in Negril but you must get there fairly early as they generally sell out in the early afternoon. I think it's pretty good but I like spicy food. If you can manage about a 45 minute drive then Border Jerk is very good though and I would recommend doing an afternoon lunch trip up into the mountains as the drive is very scenic. It's up near Ramble and Mcfield. There are some cool little towns you can stop along the way to hang out at a rum bar or buy some fruit, carvings, etc... Haddo is one of those towns and Mcfield Square is another. In the west end of Negril you also have Kool Vybz Jerk that is excellent.
    Last edited by Corey K; 10-02-2023 at 10:51 AM.

User Info Menu

I second, third or fourth (what ever number is we're at) about the Red Dragon Pork. Defeatedly #1 in my books. Bigs (or Bigger, can't remember) in Green Island is also quite good. Great place to stop if you're on the way here from the airport. Border Jerk is also a good stop if you're looking to go for a drive and see Jamaica off the beaten path. The road from Negril to Sav is alright, not great but just alright. The road from Farris Cross to Border Jerk is fantastic with some great Rum Bar stops high up overlooking the sugar cane fields below. That's my take on where to go, I can now tell you where not to go, Scotches on the other side of MoBay use to be a must stop, even if it was out of our way. Not any more. The last time we were there we were asked for a tip 6 times, 1lb of pork looked like a 1/2 and full of fat, half of the small portion that we got was fat. Never again. The old Jerky's Jerk Centre beside the Texaco on the way out of MoBay is now a Scotches/ Chester's Chicken. Haven't tried that yet, but when I do I'll report back.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Corey K View Post
    Red Dragon is very popular in Negril but you must get there fairly early as they generally sell out in the early afternoon. I think it's pretty good but I like spicy food. If you can manage about a 45 minute drive then Border Jerk is very good though and I would recommend doing an afternoon lunch trip up into the mountains as the drive is very scenic. It's up near Ramble and Mcfield. There are some cool little towns you can stop along the way to hang out at a rum bar or buy some fruit, carvings, etc... Haddo is one of those towns and Mcfield Square is another. In the west end of Negril you also have Kool Vybz Jerk that is excellent.
    Thanks! Does Kool Vybz have pork?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ratty2141 View Post
    Thanks! Does Kool Vybz have pork?
    Yes, they will be more expensive than Red Dragon though. Red Dragon is one of the best values in Negril for both drinks and the jerk pork but it's not really a restaurant. It's a bar that does a big batch of jerk pork each day and you go in the room next door to the bar to buy portions of it. Doesn't really have anywhere formal to sit and eat except the bar itself. Kool Vybz is an actual restaurant.
    Last edited by Corey K; 10-02-2023 at 01:20 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by brownsd54 View Post
    I second, third or fourth (what ever number is we're at) about the Red Dragon Pork. Defeatedly #1 in my books. Bigs (or Bigger, can't remember) in Green Island is also quite good. Great place to stop if you're on the way here from the airport. Border Jerk is also a good stop if you're looking to go for a drive and see Jamaica off the beaten path. The road from Negril to Sav is alright, not great but just alright. The road from Farris Cross to Border Jerk is fantastic with some great Rum Bar stops high up overlooking the sugar cane fields below. That's my take on where to go, I can now tell you where not to go, Scotches on the other side of MoBay use to be a must stop, even if it was out of our way. Not any more. The last time we were there we were asked for a tip 6 times, 1lb of pork looked like a 1/2 and full of fat, half of the small portion that we got was fat. Never again. The old Jerky's Jerk Centre beside the Texaco on the way out of MoBay is now a Scotches/ Chester's Chicken. Haven't tried that yet, but when I do I'll report back.
    Wow..thanks. Sounds like Scotchies has gone downhill

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by brownsd54 View Post
    I and I Reply:
    I think most call him Biggs. I call him Sar and it seems to fit. His iconic spot in Green Island not only has jerk pork but also Jamaican Pan Fried Pork if you ask. You can't go wrong with any ting deh.

User Info Menu

Thanks everyone for the great information. Looking forward to trying more than one place!