Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bad road

User Info Menu

Bad road

We noticed that the road to Negril from MoBay has deteriated a lot since our last visit a year ago. What happened?r

Administrator

User Info Menu

Re: Bad road

This might be the best thread title yet! Bad Road. Almost like you are scolding a dog named Road!

I will present your question to Kingston and ask what they want me to reply.

Thanks man!
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!

Administrator

User Info Menu

Directly from the government, they have extensive plans:

Thanks for your feedback and for visiting Negril. We love sharing our piece of paradise with you, and understand the importance of ensuring smooth and efficient road access. I am aware that the Government is actively pursuing several road rehabilitation programs as we speak, including the Mobay bypass road (Works have already begun), The Lucea and Hopewell bypass roads (in the design stage). We are also doing rehabilitation works on sections of the West End road to open up that corridor further and facilitate the expansion of the resort town. The Prime Minister announced a massive island wide road repair program which will benefit the road to Negril. Thanks again for choosing Negril and we hope to have you back again (on our improved roads too). One Love

User Info Menu

Great info. Lucea bypass is my dream project

User Info Menu

When Princess Grand Jamaica opens up those bottleneck spots are going to be even more ridiculous. I suspect the inland route will be the best option to get to Negril.

User Info Menu

Just drove to Kingston last week. The road from MoBay to Ochie is in good shape and the drive on Highway 2000 was by far the best part (other than the $4,100J return toll, ouch!!)but it got me thinking, given what the tourism industry in the Negril area gives back to the government through departure tax and consumption tax, why is Negril neglected so much. Bad roads, garbage all over, it's just not fair.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by brownsd54 View Post
    Just drove to Kingston last week. The road from MoBay to Ochie is in good shape and the drive on Highway 2000 was by far the best part (other than the $4,100J return toll, ouch!!)but it got me thinking, given what the tourism industry in the Negril area gives back to the government through departure tax and consumption tax, why is Negril neglected so much. Bad roads, garbage all over, it's just not fair.
    Primarily because of the interest payments Jamaica must pay on its debt to the World Bank, IMF, and other foreign debt. The interest payments alone swallow up a substantial portion of the annual budget. It is the root cause for much of Jamaica's high taxes with poor return on investment to the taxpayers. Keep in mind for the most part tourists are seeing the best of roads, sanitation service, public utilities, etc...The general public sees far worse in areas not heavily frequented by foreign visitors.

Administrator

User Info Menu

While that was true about 15 years ago, the interest payment to the IMF is not the problem.

The Jamaican government made significant strides in reducing interest payments to the International Monetary Fund (IMF). The efforts resulted in a sharp decline in payments, and the government’s interest bill fell from 17% of GDP in 2009 to 6% in 2019.

The last year I could find that data was 2019.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by brownsd54 View Post
    Someone thought it would be a great idea to dump 2 big bags of household garbage on the side of the road right before the Hanover/ Westmoreland sign at Long Bay beach. The dogs got into the garbage and now there's empty bottles, food containers and plastic bags from the Spay and Neuter clinic all the way to Long Bay Beach parking lot. Thursday the grass wipers and rake ladies when through there....but they just raked around the garbage. What would have been the thought process there.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    While that was true about 15 years ago, the interest payment to the IMF is not the problem.

The Jamaican government made significant strides in reducing interest payments to the International Monetary Fund (IMF). The efforts resulted in a sharp decline in payments, and the government’s interest bill fell from 17% of GDP in 2009 to 6% in 2019.

The last year I could find that data was 2019.
    I would concur that the Jamaican government's moves in recent years have been some of the most fiscally responsible ones made to date but there is still a lot of debt. While the austerity program has helped reduce the public debt to GDP ratio that you mention it is still substantial and there is debt other than the IMF and World Bank particularly to China. Most recently in 2021 during the COVID-19 lockdowns the ratio increased over 100% and has since declined but it is still high as the recession that hit Jamaica due to the lockdowns cut deep. Tourism is set to be at record levels this upcoming year so it should continue to improve. Foreign debt continues to be a major hinderance to public infrastructure projects though and the growing amount of Chinese debt is something to really watch closely.