Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Transport from Sangster

User Info Menu

Re: Transport from Sangster

You have various options. There is no public bus per say. Rather you could do route taxis which are extremely inexpensive but you'd need to get to the bus park in downtown MoBay and if you haven't done it before then I don't recommend it because you have to change buses and get on another in another bus park along the way in Lucea. Also it only works if you're traveling light luggage wise. The ride is cramped and uncomfortable and not really for tourists but some seasoned ones and ex-pats use it.

Next most inexpensive option is Knutsford. Their rates just recently went up but I think it's like $24/person last time I checked. Nice big charter bus with a/c, tv, wifi, and bathrooms. Your flight has to get in on time to utilize it though as it leaves MBJ daily to Negril just before 2PM. Downfall with this method other than needing to schedule your flight to its departure time is that it drops you at one centralized spot in Negril that has moved down towards the a/i's in the Hanover part of Negril so it requires catching a taxi from there to your hotel. They have a website and you can book it online.

JUTA is the other option and is also relatively cheap ($30 USD per person)but they generally don't leave the airport until they fill a van up and then it's a direct stop to the hotel with no stops. So if you need frequent bathroom breaks or like to make a stop or two along the way then it's not a good option. You can also book this online or just go up to the window at the airport near the departure gate and get one.

It's not hard to find a taxi at the airport but as mentioned they're supposed to be red plate licensed. Most of the guys that approach you in uniforms right as you exit are but occasionally you get a free lancer in there who isn't. You'll need to negotiate price but the going rate is $70 USD/person however if you have a group you can get the per person amount to slightly drop with some drivers. I have a favorite longtime driver named Vern 1(876)862-2677 he is red plate licensed. I've known him since 2000. I usually book with him, grab a beer at the bar outside the departure gate and hit him up on Whatsapp when I arrive.
    Last edited by Corey K; 10-16-2023 at 11:42 AM.

User Info Menu

Can't say enough good things about Andre and his crew.
    Luxurious Carib Tours & Taxi Jamaica
    1 (876) 798-8382
    luxuriouscaribtours@gmail.com

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    The current going rate for one way airport transfer is $70 - $80 for a private ride.

If you are quoted less there is a good chance they are an illegal taxi.
    It looks like quite a few in the transportation section are up to $100 each way.

Administrator

User Info Menu

Personally I think $100 is a fair fare. With the cost of gas, increasing fees from government and insurance companies and not forgetting the time the driver may wait for their passengers to exit the airport, $80 is pretty much a break-even point.

The local rate, the price residents pay any driver for a private ride has been $10,000j for a number of years now.

The route taxis went up to $200 yesterday. Technically it is $180 until April, but who wants to deal with coins?
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!

User Info Menu

I pay my driver $100 US each way to/from Sangster.

Good to hear Route Taxis are now $200 J per route. I usually pay a route taxi driver $500 J per route, this is my choice.

Enjoy,

VVHT aka Happy

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by VVHT View Post
    I pay my driver $100 US each way to/from Sangster.

Good to hear Route Taxis are now $200 J per route. I usually pay a route taxi driver $500 J per route, this is my choice.

Enjoy,

VVHT aka Happy
    Yes, regardless what they ask, the trip from/to Mobay is worth $100+ US each way.

User Info Menu

Rob, thanks for vetting the transportation folks as it makes it so much easier for us to feel good about a driver. One of the great things about your message board.

User Info Menu

Anyone still hearing of long delays at arrival? Flying in on Monday.
    Free Vybz Kartel

User Info Menu

Beers, Water, Patties and Herb is a great way to be picked up