Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Transport from Sangster

User Info Menu

Transport from Sangster

I am considering a trip to Negril after too long an absence. Unfortunately my long-time go-to driver passed away and I am looking for a recommendation for transport from Sangster. Prices have gone up everywhere so I assume the same goes for taxi service. What's the going rate for a ride?

Also, I've always been curious about taking the bus to Negril, since I am a public transportation fan. Does anyone have any experiences, advice or information about taking the bus from the airport to Negril. How long is the trip ? Where would you get the bus? Thanks for any info you can provide

User Info Menu

Re: Transport from Sangster

JUTA bus from the airport to Negril I think was $30USD one way, but the problem with that is you'll have to wait at the airport until the bus fills up and it's point A to point B. While you're waiting, sitting at Margaritaville on the bus side of the departure door won't work, not at 8$USD for a Red Stripe. I think you can still get a car to take you to Negril for $50-$60, with Red Stripe stops on the way. Lot's of drivers waiting at the door for walkout customers. $80 for a van. Also the Knutsford runs from MBJ to Negril but only one bus per day so the timing might not work out. Here is the JUTA bus link.

https://www.jutatoursja.com/

User Info Menu

We have always use Michael https://michaelsontimetaxi.com/

Administrator

User Info Menu

The current going rate for one way airport transfer is $70 - $80 for a private ride.

If you are quoted less there is a good chance they are an illegal taxi.
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!

Administrator

User Info Menu

Knutsford looks to transfer from MoBay daily at 1:45pm

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    The current going rate for one way airport transfer is $70 - $80 for a private ride.

If you are quoted less there is a good chance they are an illegal taxi.
    And ask for JUTA credentials before you say yes. One year we needed a driver at the airport, the guy said he was a JUTA driver but after hauling our luggage over to the car park, he wasn't a red plate driver. It is a big deal BTW. Travel insurance won't cover medical expenses if you are in an accident in a private vehicle. You need to be in a licensed red plate vehicle for full coverage.

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by brownsd54 View Post
    And ask for JUTA credentials before you say yes. One year we needed a driver at the airport, the guy said he was a JUTA driver but after hauling our luggage over to the car park, he wasn't a red plate driver. It is a big deal BTW. Travel insurance won't cover medical expenses if you are in an accident in a private vehicle. You need to be in a licensed red plate vehicle for full coverage.
    JUTA is just one of the unions that represent drivers. JCal, Maxi, even the Westmoreland Taxi Drivers Association are all legal licensed and insured drivers.

So DON'T ask for the driver's JUTA Certification but ask for their JTB Certification. JUTA is just one of many.

Administrator

User Info Menu

Remember that all the drivers in our Transportation section are vetted as legally licensed and insured red plate drivers.

https://negril.com/transport/

User Info Menu

Learn from one of my past mistakes, and make sure they have AC too!

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JohnNYC View Post
    Learn from one of my past mistakes, and make sure they have AC too!
    Excellent advice!