Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Thread: Boat transport to Floyd’s Pelican Bar

User Info Menu

Boat transport to Floyd’s Pelican Bar

My husband and I will be returning to Negril for vacation in March 2024. We did some larger boat tours in the past but didn’t like the time restrictions when traveling with a group. Our resort is at the northern end of 7 Mile beach, we want to visit Floyds Pelican Bar in Salt Spring Junction. I’m planning car transport to the Black River/Salt Spring Junction area and then a boat (the wooden ones with an outboard motor) to the bar.
    Several businesses came up in an online search, does anyone have recent experience with these, or others to suggest and pricing? Thank you for your time.
    Boat transport list: Little’s Pelican Bar Boat Tours, Pelican Bar Portia, Sheldon's, Deano's Cafè, Captain Dee's

User Info Menu

Re: Boat transport to Floyd’s Pelican Bar

Quote Originally Posted by Farawaytrue View Post
    My husband and I will be returning to Negril for vacation in March 2024. We did some larger boat tours in the past but didn’t like the time restrictions when traveling with a group. Our resort is at the northern end of 7 Mile beach, we want to visit Floyds Pelican Bar in Salt Spring Junction. I’m planning car transport to the Black River/Salt Spring Junction area and then a boat (the wooden ones with an outboard motor) to the bar.
    Several businesses came up in an online search, does anyone have recent experience with these, or others to suggest and pricing? Thank you for your time.
    Boat transport list: Little’s Pelican Bar Boat Tours, Pelican Bar Portia, Sheldon's, Deano's Cafè, Captain Dee's
    I've never used those companies. I've always just gone to the Black River near the Crocodile Safari Tour and hired a boat. If you want you can book with Vern's Jamaica Taxi and Tours 1(876)862-2677 and he can arrange the boat for you. It's not hard to find one though once you arrive.

User Info Menu

Thank you Corey K for the info.

Administrator

User Info Menu

Be sure to go to Parotte, it is the closest and cheapest place to get a boat ride. The Pelican Bar is awesome!
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!

Administrator

User Info Menu

I failed to mention that any legal driver (red plate) can arrange the boat ride once you arrive at Parotte. It is a very informal process.

User Info Menu

We met Rasta George in 2007. He took us up the Black River to see all the flora, fauna and crocks, then he ran us out to Pelican Bar. Spent the whole afternoon with him and his boat captain. Driving through Black River 3 years ago and who is walking down the street but Rasta George. I just called and he is still in the business. If you would just like to have a nice relaxing day with friends and family, I'd recommend Rasta. His boat is 16 or maybe 20' (876)355-1947

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by brownsd54 View Post

We met Rasta George in 2007. He took us up the Black River to see all the flora, fauna and crocks, then he ran us out to Pelican Bar. Spent the whole afternoon with him and his boat captain. Driving through Black River 3 years ago and who is walking down the street but Rasta George. I just called and he is still in the business. If you would just like to have a nice relaxing day with friends and family, I'd recommend Rasta. His boat is 16 or maybe 20' (876)355-1947
    There is an adventure in the boat ride itself. Some offer rides from Black River, which can take an hour or more and cost you much more in gas.

Parottee is literally as close as you can get. The boat ride is the least expensive and about 10 to 15 minutes. Supposedly at low tide if you are tall enough you can walk it.

Any which way you look at it you are on a boat in the Caribbean, which is really cool.

If you want to experience a long ride on the Caribbean and money is not a problem, take a boat from Black River. We've done it and it is blast as long as no one gets sea sick.

But for quick and cheap, which allows more time at the Pelican Bar, take a boat from Parottee.

The Pelican Bar is a trip I never refuse. A bar in the middle of the sea?!?! Way too cool!

User Info Menu

Thanks all for sparking a thought. Gonna check out a full day tour via black river. ��

User Info Menu

We have never been to Pelican Bar. Sounds like something we need to check out on a future trip.

User Info Menu

Thank you so much Rob and Brownsd54 (I appreciate the pics, it looks like you had a great time), we will plan on visiting Parottee, I’m keeping Rastas info as well. Launching from the closest docking location is ideal (see the new question I will be posting next re: my situation)