Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Thread: Route Taxis

User Info Menu

Route Taxis

Is it easy to get route taxis from beach road hotels to West End restaurants e.g. LTU or Kool Vybz?
    Last edited by Ratty2141; 10-21-2023 at 01:44 AM. Reason: Spelling

User Info Menu

Re: Route Taxis

Ratty,
    Yes.
    I would flag down a route taxi on the beach road. Make sure it has red plates and a local route taxi decal in the door.
    You can either switch route taxis at the roundabout, or negotiate a price all the way to LTU. Once you ask to go off their route it becomes a charter ride. Prices are negotiable.
    What I do, is have the beach road taxi drop me off at the roundabout, then I walk past Scotia bank towards the West End Road and wave down any route taxis headed up the West End.
    If I were to take the beach taxi to the route taxi stand it’s the roundabout, I would get in a West End Taxi and WAIT for it to fill up with passengers. I don’t like waiting! Especially on a hot and humid day.

Enjoy,
    VVHT aka Happy

User Info Menu

Solid advice from VVHT. Only thing I'd add is depending on the time of day sometimes route taxis aren't as abundant and easy to flag down.

User Info Menu

Not to hijack this thread, but is it easy enough to find a route taxi out past the lighthouse on West End Road? We're staying at Idle Awhile Cliffs for the first time in December. We are usually beach dwellers. I suppose, worst case, we have someone from the hotel call for one.
    Johio

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Johio View Post
    Not to hijack this thread, but is it easy enough to find a route taxi out past the lighthouse on West End Road? We're staying at Idle Awhile Cliffs for the first time in December. We are usually beach dwellers. I suppose, worst case, we have someone from the hotel call for one.
    They'll be somewhat scarce that far deep in the west end. The hotel probably won't call a route taxi as you have to be out on the road to get one. Remember route taxis are shared rides and all about the driver getting maximum passengers and efficiency on stops. The hotel will call you a private taxi if they don't have one on premise though. You might just consider hiring a taxi for the week to pick you up and drop you off each day for a flat weekly rate.

User Info Menu

When we go to breakfast at Jus' Natural and then on to Barney's Hummingbirds we walk down west end road until a taxi comes along. We usually get one by the time we get to the lighthouse. Of course this is in the morning when there is a lot of taxi's on the road.
    Regards,
    Bob

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Corey K View Post
    They'll be somewhat scarce that far deep in the west end. The hotel probably won't call a route taxi as you have to be out on the road to get one. Remember route taxis are shared rides and all about the driver getting maximum passengers and efficiency on stops. The hotel will call you a private taxi if they don't have one on premise though. You might just consider hiring a taxi for the week to pick you up and drop you off each day for a flat weekly rate.
    Any ideas what the rate would be?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Negril96 View Post
    Any ideas what the rate would be?
    Route Taxis rates just recently went up. It is $190 JMD (might as well say $200 JMD) per person from the west end to downtown (roundabout area). Then you catch another one there to the beach for another $200 JMD per person. Otherwise if you just want to go to the first part of the beach like at Negril Beach Club Condos you could walk from the roundabout to it in about 5-10 minutes. A private taxi would probably take you from your hotel to the beach for $1,000-$1,500 JMD if you used them each day. Price is always negotiable for private taxis. Establish price before getting into the vehicle.
    Last edited by Corey K; 10-23-2023 at 12:38 PM.

User Info Menu

Thanks for the info Corey.

User Info Menu

Thanks for all the information everyone