Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Negril Treehouse has gone cashless

User Info Menu

Re: Negril Treehouse has gone cashless

I bought this EMSEEK Waterproof Wallet a few years ago from amazon ($12) that I carry in my cargo trunks all day where I keep my room key, cash and credit card nice and dry! I'd recommend getting one!
    Go Bills!

User Info Menu

Was lucky to be in London last week in September, was shocked to see how many cashless businesses there were. Counterfeiting, fingers in the till and simpler bookkeeping , making change, especially coins ,transferring large amounts of cash to the bank were some of the many reasons . See what the future holds ? One global currency?

User Info Menu

Increased credit card usage in one of the scammer capitals of the world - what could go wrong? I'm leaning towards not using my CC in future trips after having to waste time correcting fraudulent charges last couple of trips.

User Info Menu

My guess is all will go to cards only in due time. Seems to be the way everything is going.

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Luddy12 View Post
    My guess is all will go to cards only in due time. Seems to be the way everything is going.
    I rather large number of Jamaicans do not want to use cards on a regular basis. It will be at least a decade, probably much longer for Jamaica to go cashless.

And the card reader systems go down on a weekly basis. This is going to be interesting...
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!

User Info Menu

Note to self .......skip Treehouse. In 25 trips I've never used a credit card. Cash used to be king.
    July 1993*, Feb 2003, Aug 2005, April 2007, Feb 2008, Feb 2009, April 2010, Nov 2010, Nov 2011, Nov 2012, March 2013*, Nov 2013, Nov 2014, March 2015*, Nov 2015*, April 2016*, Oct 2016, Nov 2017*, May 2018*, Nov 2018*, Oct/Nov 2019*, Dec 2020*, Dec 2021*, May 2022* (Portland), Dec 2022* (Irish Town/Strawberry Hill), Dec 2023*, Dec 2024*

User Info Menu

With all electronic currency, it is also easier to cut off your access to goods and services if your social credit score drops below acceptable levels.

https://www.businessinsider.com/chin...plained-2018-4

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gregandkelly63 View Post
    Note to self .......skip Treehouse. In 25 trips I've never used a credit card. Cash used to be king.
    DITTO on that! I’ve always used only cash while in Jamaica or elsewhere traveling .Even here in New York I will not go into any cashless establishments… crazy. I carry a credit card just in case in of emergencies. I don’t think that was a very smart business move on Gail’s part.
    Deanna (aka DeeDee from NY)

User Info Menu

We stopped there one day last week to get a drink and noticed the card only sign. We were about to leave when the bartender told us we could pay in cash.

User Info Menu

oddly enough, a lot of non-chain bars and restaurants up here where it is too kold are pushing people to use cash over a credit card because of the fees involved. you can still use a credit card but they are passing along the charges they incur onto the customer's bill. two of my favorite restaurants are handing out tabs with the cash price, the credit card price is to be determined after they ring it up. can't blame a restaurant for not wanting to pay out 3% or so plus whatever the card rewards cost. they are lucky if they make 5% profit to begin with. a lot of cc usage can hit their bottom line hard.

refusing cash seems like a bad idea for a tourist beach location. and it will increase their cost to do business unless they pass along the cost of using a card. a lot of folks are unpleasantly surprised when their card is shut off after one transaction because they failed to notify the cc company that they will be using it out of the country.