Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ATMs and New Currency UPDATE Oct 2023

User Info Menu

Re: ATMs and New Currency UPDATE Oct 2023

Sadly, with the hyper cost of visiting Negril, a $30,000 J withdrawal (limit) won't get you too far.

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sunray View Post
    Sadly, with the hyper cost of visiting Negril, a $30,000 J withdrawal (limit) won't get you too far.
    The US$ exchange rate at 150 to 1 is what is reducing the buying power of of the Jamaican dollar. Add inflation and living here is a challenge.

$30,000j has the value of us$200. You can use cards at many more places now than the pre pandemic days.

I would use cash for small purchases, drinks and meals from the smaller vendors. Any fancy dining out can be put right on your card and you get the best daily exchange rate possible
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!

User Info Menu

Agreed Rob, that was my strategy. Cash for smaller purchases but then my card, which I prefer, for meals or when I could run a tab. Next year my plan is to bring USD (which I did this year) and then hit an ATM for JMD so that I have both.
    Free Vybz Kartel

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    The US$ exchange rate at 150 to 1 is what is reducing the buying power of of the Jamaican dollar. Add inflation and living here is a challenge.

$30,000j has the value of us$200. You can use cards at many more places now than the pre pandemic days.

I would use cash for small purchases, drinks and meals from the smaller vendors. Any fancy dining out can be put right on your card and you get the best daily exchange rate possible
    Sadly the last time I asked my bank, Chase, they advised that I could not use my Chase VISA in JA even with calling ahead to notify them of my travel dates.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Homebrewer View Post
    Sadly the last time I asked my bank, Chase, they advised that I could not use my Chase VISA in JA even with calling ahead to notify them of my travel dates.
    We also have a Chase Visa Debt and it has never been declined. I don’t think they put a travel notice on the card anymore but ours works. Try it, if it’s declined call the collect number on the card and they should be able to quickly fix it.