Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ATMs and New Currency UPDATE Oct 2023

User Info Menu

ATMs and New Currency UPDATE Oct 2023

NEW Currency:
    Please be extra careful when counting these new bills, they tend to STICK together.
    At a restaurant one night, I counted the bills twice and as a precaution, gave it to Rob to count a third time and he found two bills stuck together!
    Be careful counting!
    Also, there is a new $2,000 J note.
    Old currency is still around, especially $100 and $500 J notes.
    No one uses coins....

ATMs:

Spent last week in Negril, out and about most everyday. Hit several ATMs downtown and on the beach road.

1) Scotia Bank - Times Square - was the most easily accessible with no wait.
    It wasn't until my last day on the way to the airport that it malfunctioned and it took almost five minutes to get my card back!!
    Also, this machine was limited to a maximum withdrawal of $30,000 J.

2) Scotia Bank - Downtown - Big lines all week, most times only two machines working. I heard the Scotia branch in Lucea is closed and all the workers come to Negril to get $$.

3) CIBC - next to Burger King - couldn't get it to work with my foreign Debit Card. Apparently CIBC has lost privileges with the international Banking ATM network.

4) NCB - The Boardwalk Village - used it on the way to the airport, no problem, but there was a short line. Limited to max withdrawal of $30,000 J

5) NCB - next to Value Master - couldn't get it to work last week.

Enjoy,

VVHT

User Info Menu

Re: ATMs and New Currency UPDATE Oct 2023

Quote Originally Posted by VVHT View Post
    NEW Currency:

4) NCB - The Boardwalk Village - used it on the way to the airport, no problem, but there was a short line. Limited to max withdrawal of $30,000 J

VVHT
    It used to be limited to 30k but you could do two transactions back to back for a total of 60k. Last year a security guard at the bank told me I could take out up to $100k. I tried it and it worked. I was able to get $100,000J a day throughout Jan. & Feb.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rasta Animal View Post
    It used to be limited to 30k but you could do two transactions back to back for a total of 60k. Last year a security guard at the bank told me I could take out up to $100k. I tried it and it worked. I was able to get $100,000J a day throughout Jan. & Feb.
    Yes, in previous trips this year I was able to pull out $60,000 J at most ATMs.
    On Tuesday last week, I was able pull out $60,000 J at the Scotia Bank downtown, after waiting in line for almost 30 minutes.
    All subsequent visits were limited to $30,000 J.
    Fortunately, my bank reimburses the ATM fees, even the ones I incur in Jamaica.

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rasta Animal View Post
    That j$30,000 limit is per transaction. It is a standard limit by all the banks.

You can do more than one transaction, j$60,000 would be 2 transactions, $75,000 would be 3. I think your daily limit is based on your home bank's limits.
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!

User Info Menu

I pulled out 70,000 in one transaction over a week ago at NCB bank Boardwalk.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    That j$30,000 limit is per transaction. It is a standard limit by all the banks.

You can do more than one transaction, j$60,000 would be 2 transactions, $75,000 would be 3. I think your daily limit is based on your home bank's limits.
    I was referring to $100,000 per transaction.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post

$30,000J was the limit but when covid hit Scotiabank raised the limit to $100K. I still can get up to $100K but I've found you have to pick the ATM that say "This ABM issues $5000 bills". I think most if not all will dispense $5000 bills but sometimes the machine doesn't have enough to dispense. The line up for Scotiabank downtown and the one at the airport are always long. That's why I like to get $100K and put the wad in my safe, just taking a lekle bit with me (is it lekel bit or ikel bit??) It also depends on what card your using. If you're using a US or Canadian bank card and you have a limit of $500 back home you won't be able to get more than that equivalent here. My card is Scotiabank Jamaica. Maybe we need to start an email campaign to Scotiabank Jamaica and NCB to get more ATM machines in Negril. Just a thought.

User Info Menu

brownsd54,

Good thoughts.
    I keep my daily withdrawal limit low, this keeps me out of trouble!!!!
    My impression last week was Jamaica needs more qualified ATM technicians to keep them up and running and replenished with sufficient cash to meet demand.

An ATM on the West End would be awesome!
    Yes, there is one at Rick's, but I'm told it is out of service frequently.

Enjoy,

VVHT

User Info Menu

Cocolapalm has installed an ATM by their beach bar. I haven't used it but someone said it dispensed US money.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fargoman View Post
    I pulled out 70,000 in one transaction over a week ago at NCB bank Boardwalk.
    I have a daily $1001 US dollar limit from my USA debit card. I was regularly taking out $145, 000 Jamaican between February and early May of this year from the NCB boardwalk ATMs with no problem. Also withdrew the same amount occasionally from the Scotia at the airport. Early in the mornings around 7:00 when no one's there. Just FYI for you all. Not sure if things have changed since may.