Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Thread: Joseph’s Cave / Pirate Cave ?

User Info Menu

Joseph’s Cave / Pirate Cave ?

Hello all! My wife & I are staying at Rockhouse during the last full week of November. One of the reasons I was drawn to that area is because of the beauty of the cliffs and caves.

I am very interested in grabbing snorkel gear and trying to swim out to explore the old Pirate’s Cave under Pushcart.

Does anyone know if the family/owners of the neighboring Joseph’s Cave, after Miss Mae’s passing, are still allowing visitors access to their property for a fee or donation? It’s got an interesting history and is on my Jamaica bucket list.

User Info Menu

Re: Joseph’s Cave / Pirate Cave ?

Quote Originally Posted by V&S716 View Post
    Hello all! My wife & I are staying at Rockhouse during the last full week of November. One of the reasons I was drawn to that area is because of the beauty of the cliffs and caves.

I am very interested in grabbing snorkel gear and trying to swim out to explore the old Pirate’s Cave under Pushcart.

Does anyone know if the family/owners of the neighboring Joseph’s Cave, after Miss Mae’s passing, are still allowing visitors access to their property for a fee or donation? It’s got an interesting history and is on my Jamaica bucket list.
    I don't think so. The last time I stopped when passing the gate to the yard was closed and they also had a door with bars and a lock coming out of the cave. I plan on checking it out in a couple of months. Remember Pirate's Cave has a separate exit from Joseph's Cave. I haven't stayed at Rockhouse lately but assume that cave exit is still there at Pushcart where Pirates Cave Restaurant used to be.

Administrator

User Info Menu

Re: Joseph’s Cave / Pirate Cave ?

Years ago either the rough seas or rock collapse caused both entrances, the one at PushCart and the one at the original Joseph Caves to be permanently sealed.

The steps were gone and it was determined to be an indefinite hazard, so the cave can only be entered by sea.

Some boat owners don't even want to take you in there.

Xtabi caves are still an amazing sight!
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!