Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Thread: Still reading walk good

User Info Menu

Still reading walk good

In the book, he mentions a big birthday bash at a place called tiny, which I know it's he meant to say peewees. Still kind of strange someone didn't catch that before he printed the book. Also, he mentioned the best conchsoup at a place called Cuba I haven't been able to find a really good Conch soup in years. Is Cuba still around or is anybody have a suggestion for a really good conch soup?

User Info Menu

Re: Still reading walk good

He may have been referring to Cosmos. I'm not a fan but friends used to rave about their great conch soup.

User Info Menu

I just bought the book and have only read the cover stuff. I think he said that this book is ostensibly fiction but names have been changed to protect the innocent/guilty. So likely not an editor error and Tiny's = PeeWees. I wonder what Cuba= ? It would be fun to fill in the rest of the blanks.

Quote Originally Posted by original spanky View Post
    In the book, he mentions a big birthday bash at a place called tiny, which I know it's he meant to say peewees. Still kind of strange someone didn't catch that before he printed the book. Also, he mentioned the best conchsoup at a place called Cuba I haven't been able to find a really good Conch soup in years. Is Cuba still around or is anybody have a suggestion for a really good conch soup?

User Info Menu

Nancy Marie,
    You are probably correct!! Cosmos way back when had really good conch soup. His place used to be (circa 1976 +) way up the beach almost up to the Sundowner and Coconut Cove. Cosmo's was right adjacent to a soccer field or football pitch as it was probably referred to. I used to jog the beach from Gloria's Sunset Cottages all the way up to Negril Beach Village ( now known as Hedonism) and on the return I would stop at Cosmos for a bowl of Conch Soup, Coco Bread and a Red Stripe or 2. There never was a crowd there and I always found the gentleman who I assume was Cosmo to be friendly and up for a good conversation. What happened thereafter I can't say but before Negril Beach was built up Cosmos was a terrific spot in my opinion.
    Last edited by johng; 11-07-2023 at 03:51 PM.

User Info Menu

That gentleman was Cosmo Brown. He and his people hacked that place out with machetes, manicured the grounds and gradually created the compound that became Cosmos. We happened to land by boat on the way to Booby Cay to borrow snorkel gear from the girlfriend of the boat owner. She worked for Mr Brown at that time. Year after year we always went to Cosmos (by car) and I made a point of always chatting with Mr. Brown. After who knows how many trips he stopped by to chat and again remembered me. He excused himself and returned a few minutes later and presented me with a yellow Cosmos polo shirt "for my long time friend and good customer." It's still a prized possession which I rarely wear to avoid it wearing out before I do.

Few visitors would ever guess that Mr. Brown was a very savvy politician in local government, JUTA board and other matters. But the property was owned by the JA government (part of the park next door) and they refused to sell it to him. Then the government turned right around and sold it to Beaches for their expansion. Cosmos was evicted from the property and the gate was padlocked. By this time Mr. Brown was elderly and becoming frail. I was told he spent his final days somewhere up the hill with a son, who took care of him at the end. It was a glorious era.

User Info Menu

ol yardie said It was a glorious era.
    i must agree.

User Info Menu

Yes for local food Cosmos was very good
    What about Dr Bills I think that was the name of the restaurant next to Coco la Palm great place for breakfast

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ol'yardie View Post
    Cosmos was evicted from the property and the gate was padlocked. By this time Mr. Brown was elderly and becoming frail. I was told he spent his final days somewhere up the hill with a son, who took care of him at the end.
    After Cosmos was closed down, Mr. Brown opened another property for a short period of time that mimicked his original restaurant. He also opened an unique bar on the road towards Sav that's no longer open.
    Any soup at Cosmos was outstanding!!

User Info Menu

Thanks for the clarification Lisa. I had heard about Mr. Brown's later restaurant but never ran into anyone who could tell me where it was.
    My go-to was always fish and chips.