Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Thread: How to say Babylon

User Info Menu

How to say Babylon

I like to read books that take place in Jamaica. I just finished a book called "How to say Babylon" by Safiya Sinclair.
    It's a story about a girl who is raised by a father who is a strict Rastafarian. The story starts out at the beach at White House. When she is seven, her family moves to Montego Bay. It is an interesting story.

User Info Menu

Re: How to say Babylon

I heard an interview with the author on the radio. It sounded really good.
    Alot of inside in the Rastafarianism and dreads
    Didn’t get a chance to get it for this trip but it’s on the list.
    Thanks for the reminder…

Administrator

User Info Menu

Sounds like a serious beach read!
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!

User Info Menu

Just added it to my Kindle! The beach is just 3 weeks away! Loading up my Kindle. I will also re-read Walk Good. I love reading books about Jamaica in Jamaica.
    July 1993*, Feb 2003, Aug 2005, April 2007, Feb 2008, Feb 2009, April 2010, Nov 2010, Nov 2011, Nov 2012, March 2013*, Nov 2013, Nov 2014, March 2015*, Nov 2015*, April 2016*, Oct 2016, Nov 2017*, May 2018*, Nov 2018*, Oct/Nov 2019*, Dec 2020*, Dec 2021*, May 2022* (Portland), Dec 2022* (Irish Town/Strawberry Hill), Dec 2023*, Dec 2024*

User Info Menu

Remember the part in Walk Good, the honeymoon at Hedo.............

User Info Menu

So....What exactly is "Babylon"? I understand it's big city civilisation and oppression. Totally the opposite of the Rastafarian life. Anybody help me out?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gregandkelly63 View Post
    Just added it to my Kindle! The beach is just 3 weeks away! Loading up my Kindle. I will also re-read Walk Good. I love reading books about Jamaica in Jamaica.
    Couldn’t agree more! I read “A Brief History of Seven Killings” by Marlon James while there. Excellent read!
    Don't waste your time with explanations, people only hear what they want to hear.

User Info Menu

I went to her book reading in Massachusetts. She is so sweet and brilliant. It’s a great book. She loves Jamaica. She talks about how her mom saved her by reading poetry to her - and she talks about the culture of being raised in the strict Rastafari and family. Very interesting great writer.

User Info Menu

Slightly off the subject, but "Banana Shout" is about Negril during the time of the hippies, the first Rastas, building "Rick's" and hacking the titular Banana Shout out of the bush. Negril begins its evolution from a sleepy fishing village to...well, you get the picture. I think Rob even shows up in the acknowledgements. I always bring my copy with me and read it again while I'm there.