Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Thread: Don't Try This At Home!!!

User Info Menu

Don't Try This At Home!!!

As the disclaimer in the video or ad will often say......”Don't try this at home”. I started cliff diving in upstate Pennsylvania at about 16 years old. It was a place that we would camp many weekends in our youth that we called Slumber Valley, but was known locally at Potts Falls or simply the Gorge. Meshoppen was just a little hick town and we got to know many of the locals that would frequent the gorge. At first it was just jumping from the 35' cliffs into was that was at least 20' deep. No one actually wanted to try to touch bottom as the water got cold and murky the farther down you went. At that age I wasn't too bad on a diving board despite having never taken lessons. Back in those days many of the local pools had 3 meter boards, about 10' high. So I started doing swan dives from the gorge. As time went on I needed a bigger thrill and started attempting one and a half flips and eventually full gainers. We would also jump at night sometimes which was really crazy not knowing when you would hit the water. Over the years I would look for other places to dive and found some good spots in Mexico and the west end of Jamaica. As I got older I stepped it down a bit and no longer do any “tricks”. At the local pool I can still do a one and a half and a gainer on the one meter board. In fact Rick's is way too high for me now. So I limit myself to about 20' or so and the wife isn't even happy about that. She is the one that gets the photos and she knowd that if she doesn't get a good shot I'll only do it again. I have had my Nikon Coolpix s9600 for a number of years but had forgotten about the “sports” mode. It takes 3 or 4 photos in rapid succession. So....still diving at age 72.
    Regards,
    Bob

Name:  DSCN0292.JPG
Views: 704
Size:  3.42 MB

Name:  DSCN0293.JPG
Views: 705
Size:  3.47 MB

Name:  DSCN0296.JPG
Views: 699
Size:  3.31 MB

Name:  DSCN0297.JPG
Views: 696

Name:  DSCN0298.JPG
Views: 693

User Info Menu

Re: Don't Try This At Home!!!

I flunked as the last shot shows my feet coming apart! I'd give a 4 on a one to ten scale.
    Regards,
    Bob

Name:  DSCN0299.JPG
Views: 714
Size:  3.32 MB

Name:  DSCN0300.JPG
Views: 699
Size:  3.33 MB

User Info Menu

Great pics!!! But not enough Red Stripes in the world for me to attempt that!!!
    Go Bills!

User Info Menu

It's the Rum & Stripes that usually give me the balls to do that. I've become more of a chicken as I age, luckily before I hurt myself.

User Info Menu

Atta boy Bob! Go for what you know! Remember when Rodney Dangerfield did the "Triple Lindy" in the movie "Back to School"? hahaha

User Info Menu

WOW!

Good for you!

Enjoy,

VVHT aka Happy

User Info Menu

Outstanding! Good for you. Keep on living!

User Info Menu

Awesome!

User Info Menu

No worries. I wouldn't try that at home OR anywhere else!
    July 1993*, Feb 2003, Aug 2005, April 2007, Feb 2008, Feb 2009, April 2010, Nov 2010, Nov 2011, Nov 2012, March 2013*, Nov 2013, Nov 2014, March 2015*, Nov 2015*, April 2016*, Oct 2016, Nov 2017*, May 2018*, Nov 2018*, Oct/Nov 2019*, Dec 2020*, Dec 2021*, May 2022* (Portland), Dec 2022* (Irish Town/Strawberry Hill), Dec 2023*, Dec 2024*