Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Thread: In the ocean last week.....

User Info Menu

In the ocean last week.....

A couple of years ago I had a nice Nikon underwater camera that took decent photos. Unfortunately on a trip to Mexico I went into the ocean without closing the access door. I have tried to buy another one, but they are no longer available. So the next best thing is a cheap (about $75) Polaroid underwater camera. I still haven't figured out all the features and how to use them intuitively. I can see distance okay with a snorkel and mask on but can not for the life of me see or remember which buttons to push when I'm in the water. Hence, a lot of really so-so photos. Here are the best of the bunch. There were not many fish on the west end last week and even the Jamaicans fishing from the cliffs had very little luck. Does anyone know what the fish is in the first photo? It was about a foot long and was swimming close to the surface.
    Regards,
    Bob

Name:  DSCF0104.JPG
Views: 739
Size:  1.32 MB

Name:  DSCF0076.JPG
Views: 790
Size:  3.05 MB

Name:  DSCF0082.JPG
Views: 785
Size:  2.44 MB

Name:  DSCF0084.JPG
Views: 785
Size:  2.18 MB

Name:  DSCF0097.JPG
Views: 773
Size:  2.17 MB

User Info Menu

Re: In the ocean last week.....

A couple of more photos. Janet loves floating around in the ocean with a life vest on. Sometimes she will spend 2 hours out there. The last photo is from under Blue Cave Castle.
    Regards,
    Bob

Name:  DSCF0031.JPG
Views: 735
Size:  1.44 MB

Name:  DSCF0060.JPG
Views: 774
Size:  2.68 MB

Name:  DSCF0064.JPG
Views: 730
Size:  1.23 MB

User Info Menu

Hi Bob,
    Thanks for your great posts and wonderful photos!! The fish in the first photo resembles what was called a Gar Fish in Florida although as you mentioned the photo's clarity makes it difficult to be sure. I don't know if Gar Fish is the real name but that's what I remember from my youth.

It is really nice that Negril still is your go to place after all these years. I'm sure there has been significant change but Negril Beach and the Cliffs remain an unbelievable place.

Thank you again for the awesome posts!!

User Info Menu

Bob, great photos.

I agree with Johng, it looks like a Cuban Gar. Technically it is a freshwater fish, but is known to tolerate sea water.

Thanks for taking the time to post!!

Enjoy,

VVHT

User Info Menu

Nice photos! I always enjoy the underwater shots.

User Info Menu

Nice Underwater shots.

We snorkel a lot but no camera for all the site bellow the sea.

Thanks