Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Thread: Our recent trip to Benta Falls

User Info Menu

Our recent trip to Benta Falls

Over the years Janet and I have been to most attractions on the west end of the Island. Some of them don't exist any longer and many we have been to multiple times. But this was the first time going to Benta Falls. We contacted our driver and he said it was best to plan an entire day for the adventure. In fact he was bringing his swimming trunks too. Although I had been told that it was close to Sav, that didn't seem to be the case. It is quite a drive in the country to get there especially if you are taking it at a leisurely pace to enjoy the surroundings. We arrived by 10:30 and went to the changing\bathroom area to slip on our trunks. We took to the falls what we thought was best and locked the rest in our drivers car. You get a tour guide to take you through the falls, much like Mayfield Falls. The entrance to the Benta Falls complex is at the top, so you walk down a long path to get to the streams entrance. Not knowing quite what to expect, I had on my hat and glasses. Mistake number one, you will loose them! I also had a nice Nikon point and shoot camera and also a waterproof camera. Mistake number two, don't take a good camera unless you have someone who will carry it and take photos for you. Fortunately our driver not only wanted to get in the water, but he was way more sure footed than me and actually like taking the photos for us. And the waterproof camera I took.....it slipped off my wrist at the third small falls and was gone. Mistake number 3, be careful even it is wrapped around your wrist. Our guide was very cautious for us especially my wife helping her navigate the many pitfalls in the stream. I just followed in their footsteps. We got up to the rope swing and of course I had to take a try. At least I didn't make mistake number four, but it was close. When the guide tells you to “let go” you better or you will end up smashing into the tree. A little farther up is a small falls that you can get behind. Very cool, but it is not a big falls you are under. Eventually you get to the end and climb the stairs which takes you to the entrance area. We ordered lunch and I was surprised that not only was it very good, but it wasn't even expensive. After a leisurely lunch we changed and headed back to Negril. Total trip including driving about 6 hours. Our guide was from the west end of Negril and I asked him how he got to work. His reply was “3 route taxi's and lots of time “. So it is possible to do this trip on your own, but it could make for a long day.
    Oh yeah.....mistake number 3.....one of the other guides went to the area where I lost the camera and after about 20 minutes of searching beneath the small falls with a mask on he found it. Both our guide and the camera finding guide got nice tips.
    The experience is similar to that of Mayfield Falls. Not the kind of trip you would take if you have any kind of mobility issues. I would also try to find another couple to go with as it would cut travel expenses in half. Entrance to Benta Falls in $25 and lunch for 3 was under $40 with a tip.
    On a side not.....not too far from Benta Falls we saw a sign on the road for Pressa's One Love. He used to have a restaurant close to Samsara a few years back and was now cooking at his home in the country. We stopped and talked to him and his wife Eva for a few minutes but his son Andre was not there.
    Regards,
    Bob

Name:  DSCF0007.JPG
Views: 823
Size:  3.62 MB

Name:  DSCF0010.JPG
Views: 815
Size:  2.88 MB

Name:  DSCN9754.JPG
Views: 819
Size:  8.52 MB

Name:  DSCN9762.JPG
Views: 810
Size:  3.55 MB

Name:  DSCN9775.JPG
Views: 811
Size:  3.34 MB
    Last edited by rjonsun; 12-01-2023 at 09:04 PM.

User Info Menu

Re: Our recent trip to Benta Falls

Name:  DSCN9785.JPG
Views: 816
Size:  3.36 MB

Name:  DSCN9782.JPG
Views: 804
Size:  3.17 MB

Name:  DSCN9788.JPG
Views: 814
Size:  3.51 MB

Name:  DSCN9790.JPG
Views: 808
Size:  3.46 MB

Name:  DSCN9793.JPG
Views: 777
Size:  3.29 MB

User Info Menu

And don't forget your water shoes.

Name:  DSCN9800.JPG
Views: 748
Size:  3.48 MB

Name:  DSCN9807.JPG
Views: 756
Size:  3.27 MB

Name:  DSCN9815.JPG
Views: 753
Size:  3.28 MB

Name:  DSCN9818.JPG
Views: 820
Size:  3.54 MB

Name:  DSCN9824.JPG
Views: 755
Size:  3.41 MB

User Info Menu

Good Adventure
    Enriching photos
    Thanks

User Info Menu

Looks like it was a fun day! Thanks for sharing the photos!

User Info Menu

Thanks for sharing, enjoyed the pics. It looks like you had a blast!

User Info Menu

Nice pictures. Glad to see you finally made this trip. We talked about it when I was living in Williamsfield. I am now living in the Philippines. Many nice waterfalls here too! Respect. Big Up!
    Free Opinions Offered. No tipping required. Hours: Open when I feel like it.

User Info Menu

Looks like you all had a great day. If I may ask, who do you use for a driver?

User Info Menu

rjonsun,

Thank you very much for another wonderful travel report and photos!! It's always nice seeing you and your wife's lovely smile. It is easy to see how much you still love Jamaica after all these years and that you continue going down despite the many changes. Benta Falls looks very cool and your guide did a great job with the camera work!!

Thanks again for sharing your adventures!! John

User Info Menu

That’s Michael Heath in the picture. Assuming he was your driver “Michaels on time taxi”, great guy! we have been using him since 2012.