Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Thread: CRACK (conch)

User Info Menu

CRACK (conch)

Conch is my favorite. If it helps the sustainability, I can forgo enjoying it for a year or more. That's how much I love it. I always seem to find conch soup (perhaps frozen / in season conch at the time). Is there any hope of finding conch-fritters, curry-conch, ceviche or the other various preparations (January 2024)?

User Info Menu

Re: CRACK (conch)

Conch fishing season is closed between...
    August 8, 2023 to February 29, 2024.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bnewb View Post
    Conch fishing season is closed between...
    August 8, 2023 to February 29, 2024.
    Hi. I guess what I meant was what's the deal with conch soup being ever-present regardless of closed season?

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by C.I.A. View Post
    Hi. I guess what I meant was what's the deal with conch soup being ever-present regardless of closed season?
    Businesses breaking the law because tourists keep ordering it, so, DO NOT ORDER IT WHEN IT IS OUT OF SEASON.

Thank you!
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    Businesses breaking the law because tourists keep ordering it, so, DO NOT ORDER IT WHEN IT IS OUT OF SEASON.

Thank you!
    Thanks. I wasn't sure if it was Conch harvested in season and then frozen for future use. I think some places claim to do that when lobster isn't in season? I will wait as long as necessary if it is good for the conch population. Long live the Conch!

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by C.I.A. View Post
    Thanks. I wasn't sure if it was Conch harvested in season and then frozen for future use. I think some places claim to do that when lobster isn't in season? I will wait as long as necessary if it is good for the conch population. Long live the Conch!
    The ban on serving lobster and conch was phased in over the years. I think that last year was the final time that you were able to freeze a two-week supply. But if everyone stops asking for it while it is banned, the restaurants and fishermen will have no reason to have any in stock.
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!

User Info Menu

Thanks for the info. My google search indicates conch are in big trouble in the western hemisphere and have been for a long time. I live in the mountains of Appalachia and visit the Caribbean Sea or gulf of Mexico less than once a year. Thus my confusion about why Conch soup is available and not other forms. Thanks for the local knowledge. I will enjoy Squid instead!