Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Thread: cost of ride to nEGRIL AND EXCHANGE RATE

User Info Menu

cost of ride to nEGRIL AND EXCHANGE RATE

Happy 2024 to all.
    have friends heading down first time non a/i. what is going rate for ride for 2 from airport to hotel on beach road?
    exchange approx 150-1 sound correct ?
    thanks

Administrator

User Info Menu

Re: cost of ride to nEGRIL AND EXCHANGE RATE

Quote Originally Posted by original spanky View Post
    Happy 2024 to all.
    have friends heading down first time non a/i. what is going rate for ride for 2 from airport to hotel on beach road?
    exchange approx 150-1 sound correct ?
    thanks
    The fair fare from the airport is US$100. Most are charging $80, but with the cost of maintaining that business going up this year (fees, licenses, permits, insurance, gas, etc.) at $80 the driver is pretty much breaking even. The Cambio rate today is US$1 to J$144.
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!

User Info Menu

The official exchange rate is $154 JMD to $1 USD. I find most cambios and the Chinese grocery stores that exchange are usually about $10 JMD lower on the rate but it can slightly fluctuate depending where you exchange. I'm sure you have advised your friends not to exchange money at the airport as the rate is terrible there. Rob is there so $144 JMD is probably today's rate in Negril. Transportation cost depends on what method they use. Rob's quote is for private taxi and it's spot on. You'll find most are going to quote $40-60 USD/person. There is some haggling that can occur but I agree with Rob in that with the cost of gas, fees, licenses, etc...$100 for 2 is very fair and $80 is barely covering their expenses. It's about the same distance from MBJ to Negril as it is from my hometown to Detroit's airport and an Uber would cost me well over $150 to take me there. Two less expensive options are shared rides. The least expensive is Knutsford which is a large charter style bus equipped with a/c, bathroom, tv, and wi-fi. Pros for this is it's dirt cheap like around $2,350JMD ($16 USD), the ride is pretty comfortable with all the amenities I mentioned. Cons are there are no pleasure stops, it doesn't drop you off at your hotel but rather a central spot in Negril down by the resorts where you catch a taxi to your hotel, and it usually only has one departure time of 1:45PM so if your flight is delayed or something like that you can't use it. Another inexpensive option is a shared JUTA bus that is $30USD per passenger. They basically fill up a large cargo van and then take you. Pros: It's inexpensive as well. It drops you right at your hotel. Cons: You usually have to wait for it to fill up with other guests before it leaves and it usually won't make stops. They could also take route taxis for even less than Knutsford but I really don't recommend that method of travel for them.
    Last edited by Corey K; 01-05-2024 at 02:17 PM.

User Info Menu

From the ATM a few days ago I got 153.24 to 1. I’m finding some restaurants recently that use 150:1 when they convert their menu prices from US to Ja on the bill.

User Info Menu

great info. thanks