Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Thread: Portable Wifi

User Info Menu

Portable Wifi

Does anyone have experience with portable wifi devices in Jamaica? Coming down soon for several weeks and need to have reliable wifi. The place I’m staying includes wifi but I’ve found it isn’t always reliable despite those claims. In lieu of that, any places on Seven Mile that wouldn’t screw if I were to ask for wifi info?

I know, I know…leave all the work behind…

User Info Menu

Re: Portable Wifi

Digicel used to sell a portable wifi device made by Alcatel. It had a phone chip in it but you couldn't use it as a phone, just wifi. It worked ok but here's the thing, you still need a cell signal to use this Alcatel so why not just bring a good smart phone down with you, buy a Digicel chip and use phone data. Data is cheep and now you have a phone and data. If you need to use a tablet just use the hot spot on your phone. 7 day 40GB plan is $1,500J according to the Digicel web site.

User Info Menu

With Digicel and Flow both offering eSims now, you just have to scan a QR code to set up their service. No need to swap chips. I think that is great news. So much more convenient.

User Info Menu

Thanks!!