Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Thread: Charter taxi rates

User Info Menu

Charter taxi rates

I want to pay a fair rate, but I don't want to overpay. What is a fair rate; beach road to beach road? Beach road to west end, say Wake and Bake?

User Info Menu

Re: Charter taxi rates

Quote Originally Posted by tahrheel View Post
    I want to pay a fair rate, but I don't want to overpay. What is a fair rate; beach road to beach road? Beach road to west end, say Wake and Bake?
    We took route taxis sometimes along the beach road and was US$1 each way. Juta guideline is US$10 I think. I can recommend a lovely driver who is safe, reliable, reasonable if you are interested. Was not overcharged once
    Last edited by Ratty2141; 01-22-2024 at 09:55 AM. Reason: spelling

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by tahrheel View Post
    Beach road to Negril or vice versa is $190J. West end to Negril is also $190J. I usually pay a little more with the price of gas now a days. $250J per trip is reasonable and not over paying. That $1.70USD. You'd be hard pressed to find a transit service anywhere in the US for less than that.

The usual caution comes with this though. Route taxi traveling is not for the faint of heart. The chance of getting a good, fully service vehicle is low and the chance of getting a rocket ship driver is high. Use caution or use a driver that you know and trust.

www.ta.org.jm

User Info Menu

tahrheel,

Beach Road to Beach road - most times I would take a red plate route taxi with a door decal indicating it was local (i.e. Green Island, Negril, West End etc.).
    The rate was increased in 2023, but in my opinion still doesn't seem fair to the taxi drivers based on the cost of fuel, so I usually pay $200J to $300J per person depending on how far along the beach road I travel.

Beach Road to West End Wake & Bake - depending on where you are on the beach road determines the Charter Taxi cost. If you are leaving from Hedo II vs Travellers, determines the cost.
    Wake & Bake is up past Ricks's, so on average I would expect to pay at least $10 US per person for a charter taxi from say White Sands to wake & bake. I always tip depending on service.
    From Hedo II to Wake & Bake, I would expect to pay $15US per person.
    ALWAYS AGREE on the FEE BEFORE getting in the Charter Van.

The advantage of a Charter over a Route Taxi is Air Conditioning (in most cases). When I'm travelling with my GF and we are going out to dinner. She prefers an AC ride to/from the restaurant.
    Some Restaurants offer free pickup.

Too many tales to tell of adventures in Route Taxis over the years.....

Enjoy,

VVHT aka Happy

User Info Menu

I don't use route taxis often but when I do I pay $200 JMD from one beach area to another or from beach to downtown. From the end of beach down by Travellers or downtown to the west end I pay $200 JMD. From one beach location to another with a private taxi I usually pay $700 JMD or $5 USD. From beach area of boutique hotels with a private taxi to the west end I usually pay $1,400 JMD or $10 US. For a private taxi from beach area of all inclusive resorts to the west end I'd expect to pay $2,000 JMD-2500 JMD or $15-20 USD. Everything is always negotiable in Jamaica and I'm sure there are some who can get it for less but I consider that fair. Some will want more but most will take those prices. I've found if you try to use the same private taxi for most of your stay then the prices will go down and some will just negotiate a flat rate for the entire week to bounce around Negril.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ratty2141 View Post
    We took route taxis sometimes along the beach road and was US$2each way. Juta guideline is US$10 I think. I can recommend a lovely driver who is safe, reliable, reasonable if you are interested. Was not overcharged once
    Sorry just noticed the typo. Should be $2 not $1

User Info Menu

Thanks to all. We are familiar with the RT's and Jamaican taxis. I am just trying to get a handle on a fair rate for charter taxis.