Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Thread: Heading back in May - 3 questions

User Info Menu

Heading back in May - 3 questions

Its a bleary day here in Southern New England- rainy and mid thirties and bleak so I decided to book a stay in May at White Sands which leads me to a couple of questions

One of my favorite travel stories is the time 10 years ago I decided to take a juicer to Jamaica so I could have delicious fresh fruit smoothies for breakfast.
    I packed my sturdy Nutri-Bullet in my checked luggage and went through security, only to pulled out of line several times to have my paperwork inspected and re-checked. I was puzzled and when I arrived at my hotel hours later and opened my suitcase found a little note from TSA saying Hi there traveller, we touched your things. I am no munitions expert but I guess going through the x-ray screening the bullet shaped juicer looked a whole lot like something you would see in the Hurt Locker.

I proceeded to enjoy daily yummy smoothies- with mangos bananas papaya pineapple -and at the end of my stay I gifted the suspicious looking device to a friendly staffer at my hotel in order to avoid the security hassle on the return flight. Hah no such luck. When checked in at Delta, the man at the counter said oh I see that you are flying to North Korea today and proceeded to smirk as he drew all sorts of marks on my boarding pass. I thought that was a strange attempt at humor but when going through security they took my passport and told me I was selected for extra screening, taken to a small room and proceeded to swab my feet and ukulele bag. Finding nothing more dangerous than my ukulele- which to be fair, can be quite painful when I play it- they released me and I wandered over to the departure area. I then was paged to come to the gate where I was informed there would be a second inspection just before I got on the plane. They swabbed my bag again and this time found I failed. This led to a thorough search of my person and ukulele and another swabbing of my feet with a reagent. Finding nothing again I was allowed to board. They hinted that perhaps it was blood pressure meds that caused the false positive result. If that is the case then every old fat guy in the US is a potential threat and subject to random multiple swabbing.

Once again I am on a clean living kick- and wishing to enjoy again smoothies from fresh fruit purchased on the beach- I was going to get another juicer that I have heard a lot of ads for- a Blendjet. But I saw that they were being recalled for causing fires and lacerations- neither of which is something I am looking for on vacation. So I am going to go with a less threatening looking immersion blender - and here is my first question:

I enjoy a scoop of protein powder in my smoothies and would imagine a half kilo bag of white powder in my luggage would once again raise some questions going through security, so is protein powder sold at Hi-Lo or some other health food market?

Question 2- I usually stay around the Travelers end the beach road but as I said I am staying at White Sands this time. At Travelers I enjoyed hanging out at Rusty's next door - a dive perfectly suited for a smoke and coffee in the morning and cold Red Stripes in the afternoon. Is there a similar establishment within stumbling distance of White Sands that you would recommend?

And finally- speaking of coffee, I bought coffee from Thunder a couple of years ago but couldn't find him on my last trip- is he still around, if not where is a good place to get coffee/ preferably dark roast/preferably whole beans?

Thanks in advance for your assistance- this site has been a wonderful resource for my visits over the years.

Administrator

User Info Menu

Re: Heading back in May - 3 questions

Yes, you can get protein powder at several places, pharmacies and such. Aquarius Fitness Center on the West End (in our Fitness section of our Things To Do) also sells the name brand fitness protein powders. They also have an amazing variety of machines and weights, all in an open air setting.

There are many affordable Bullet-type blenders available at stores including pharmacies and haberdasheries. You could use it for your stay and leave it on the island for someone.

Right next to Travellers is 1 Fusion Negril. For decades it was called Errol's Sunset Cafe, for a short time Sunset West and now 1 Fusion. They are open 24/7 and a very local vibe. Still family owned and operated.

Big Roy at Cafe Goa likes to dark roast his High Mountain beans (picked on the Blue Mountain but does not have the official "Blue Mountain" stamp, just like Thunder's). Its a personal preference but I always liked Roy's beans over Thunder's.
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!

User Info Menu

Thanks Rob for the info - as always you are the best source when it comes to Negril
    Errols/ Sunset / now Fusion was the place I would hang out when I was at Travellers- I was wondering if there was similar place near White Sands (1.8 Km is a lengthy stumble)

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sand gravity View Post
    Thanks Rob for the info - as always you are the best source when it comes to Negril
    Errols/ Sunset / now Fusion was the place I would hang out when I was at Travellers- I was wondering if there was similar place near White Sands (1.8 Km is a lengthy stumble)
    Sorry about that, seems I had 1 Fusion stuck in my brain.

From White Sands I would recommend Flag City and Sun Beach.
    Negril.com - For the vacation that never ends!