Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Thread: Expired passport.

User Info Menu

Expired passport.

What steps can be taken if you realize your passport expired before your return to Canada? We have family in Mobay that need instructions on what to do. Thanks!

User Info Menu

Re: Expired passport.

If it's a Canadian passport, they'll have to contact the Canadian High Commission....
    https://travel.gc.ca/assistance/emba...ulates/jamaica

If they need it immediately...ask for an emergency passport.

You do have me really curious about how they got on a flight into Jamaica.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bnewb View Post
    If it's a Canadian passport, they'll have to contact the Canadian High Commission....
    https://travel.gc.ca/assistance/emba...ulates/jamaica

If they need it immediately...ask for an emergency passport.

You do have me really curious about how they got on a flight into Jamaica.
    Thanks Lisa, they have an appointment tomorrow morning at 9:00 in Kingston. I’ll let them know about “emergency passport”. We appreciate your feedback.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JahLove View Post
    Thanks Lisa, they have an appointment tomorrow morning at 9:00 in Kingston. I’ll let them know about “emergency passport”. We appreciate your feedback.
    Hi Lisa, another quick update our family members went to Kingston High Commission and they weren’t able to help. In the meantime, Westjet issued them new tickets for last Saturday. They went to the airports way ahead of time and they were again refused boarding. Not sure what’s going on and I may not have the details. I suggested that they call Westjet media and see what they have to say about.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JahLove View Post
    Hi Lisa, another quick update our family members went to Kingston High Commission and they weren’t able to help. In the meantime, Westjet issued them new tickets for last Saturday. They went to the airports way ahead of time and they were again refused boarding. Not sure what’s going on and I may not have the details. I suggested that they call Westjet media and see what they have to say about.
    Hey JahLove....
    I'm going to assume that you mean they went to the 'High Commission of Canada' in Jamaica...not Kingston High Commission (as there isn't a Kingston High Commission).

I'm also going to assume there's a lot more to this scenario....that your family isn't a one or two week type tourist. They should not have been able to fly from Canada to Jamaica with their passport expiring while in Jamaica. Do they possibly have dual citizenship or...?

Simply put...NO airline can allow a passenger to board with an expired passport.

Also...if everything is copacetic other than just an expired passport...the High Commission of Canada legally has to provide passport services for their Canadian citizens. Either providing a brand new passport or an emergency passport to get back into Canada

User Info Menu

Bnewb, I can't help with this issue, but.....

Flying from Boston to Mo Bay on Jet Blue in December 2023...

An Elderly Jamaican Man made it through TSA, was handed a boarding pass, boarded the plane and took his seat.
    Just before the crew closed the door, Jet Blue employees and a TSA Agent boarded the plane and told the Jamaican man he had to get off the plane.
    He did comply after some discussion.

Turns out his passport had expired while visiting family in the US!
    In this digital age, can't believe he got through TSA!!!

Jahlove, hope all works out for your family!!

User Info Menu

Thanks VVHT and Lisa. I forwarded this info to the family.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by VVHT View Post
    Bnewb, I can't help with this issue, but.....

Flying from Boston to Mo Bay on Jet Blue in December 2023...

An Elderly Jamaican Man made it through TSA, was handed a boarding pass, boarded the plane and took his seat.
    Just before the crew closed the door, Jet Blue employees and a TSA Agent boarded the plane and told the Jamaican man he had to get off the plane.
    He did comply after some discussion.

Turns out his passport had expired while visiting family in the US!
    In this digital age, can't believe he got through TSA!!!

Jahlove, hope all works out for your family!!
    He got quite far...surprised the airlines didn't catch it first!
    I wonder if his expired passport was caused by overstaying...I've seen that happen a few times in Jamaica.