Home | Search Negril | Negril Map | Videos | Forum | Negril Calendar of Events | Where To Stay | Transportation | Restaurants | Things To Do

Thread: Music Scene

User Info Menu

Music Scene

Hey all-

Heading down this spring and getting excited. What's the music scene like near Coco? Is the music more geared towards dancehall type reggae or can you still find some roots or old school reggae being played along the beach?

I saw Blue Skies does Tues/Sat reggae. Last time I was at Coco, Charela did Jazz on Saturday nights I think. I know Woodstock is down the beach a bit, but I think that is more geared towards the dancehall sounds? Just want some laid back tunes that my wife will tolerate lol.

Thanks

User Info Menu

Re: Music Scene

Older tunes can be found at Drifters on Fridays & Sundays 3-7pm & more.
    Woodstock offers older tunes on Thursdays.
    Check out the negril.com events calendar also...
    https://negril.com/forum/calendar.php

User Info Menu

Re: Music Scene

Quote Originally Posted by bobbynh View Post
    Hey all-

Heading down this spring and getting excited. What's the music scene like near Coco? Is the music more geared towards dancehall type reggae or can you still find some roots or old school reggae being played along the beach?

I saw Blue Skies does Tues/Sat reggae. Last time I was at Coco, Charela did Jazz on Saturday nights I think. I know Woodstock is down the beach a bit, but I think that is more geared towards the dancehall sounds? Just want some laid back tunes that my wife will tolerate lol.

Thanks
    You'll have Boat Bar and Drifters for afternoon and early evening music. Mainly roots reggae but sometimes some blues or other genres. Blue Skies is a very nice place at night and I personally think Woodstock is too. Both have much less of the hustle element going on and both will be playing mainly roots reggae although some other genres occasionally. Roots Bamboo and Bourbon Beach are still the two late night beach bars with music with the reggae cover band type lineups. I assume Alfreds still has live music some nights but I have not been there in a couple of years now so I'm not sure. Nights that each bar has live music rotates and there is a list floating around somewhere if you Google it. For the most part the non all inclusive part of Negril has really become an older crowd with mostly Boomers and then some Gen X people like myself mixed in. There aren't many young tourists that I see at the bars as the ones I do see are mainly down in the all inclusive resorts. So you won't find a whole lot of dancehall unless it's a local themed party night in the tourist beach road area. The only club on the beach I hear much dancehall is Jungle and DJ nights at Bourbon Beach. There are some clubs downtown and in the West End that have it. Mainly a local crowd. 1Fusion Negril located directly in between Travellers Beach Resort and Negril Beach Club Condos is open 24 hours and has karaoke if you're into that or they'll play whatever music you'd like. Kitchen is open 24 hours too. Enjoy your trip.